Steep Hill - Cyclists Dismount

Walk or ride

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of honister pass. You have to brake early after going over the top because your speed really builds up fast

If you think that's bad, try Hardknott! It's truly the only tarmac road that I've struggled to get down (with a lightly-loaded road bike). Twice - damp and dry.
That's around 25%? No blue warning sign at the top!

[EDIT: I'm talking about East-bound, as opposed to @Solocle pic above which I think is West-bound. No idea which is tricksier!

Last edited:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
BILD0006.JPG

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did some alpine mtn biking in three valleys area. On some of the descents , if you applied the brakes the bikes just went sideways then started the slide down the hill with you on it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've also voted for both because it all depends.

If it is just a simple steep hill, all on reasonable tarmac without much in the way of blind bends, then I'm sure I would ride it. But if it is very twisty, or also has a loose surface, or is icy, I would probably walk.
Agreed, but I think the presence of a sign telling me to dismount would nudge me towards not dismounting.

Cos I'm a webel.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've only ever seen the signs for downhills. I suspect they're a hangover from the early days of cycling & have just been replaced without review. The CTC at one time would place warning signs for descents.

There's one at the top of Countisbury Hill down into Lynmouth. I once overtook a coach descending it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have bunny-/kangaroo-hopped this grid coming down from the Nick o' Pendle towards Sabden.

View attachment 628276

THIS is my gnarly steep cobbled descent. Note that the cobbles were in much worse condition when I did it - more broken up and not clean and dry.

View attachment 628278

:eek:

The roads department probably exposed the cobbles to force drivers (and mad cyclists!) to slow down.
Cycled up it a couple of times, never down it. Tough old climb isn't it @I like Skol ? The cafe in Ripponden made it worthwhile as I recall

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One problem with cattle grids is that they vary so much. Unless you know one well it is best to be cautious as I have met some with bars missing as well as a variety of different bars depending on the local council area.

Top Bottom