Steep hills.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Another snoozer form Gavroche............. why on earth do I walk into these all the damn time!
If you dont like it you dont have to comment. I think that comment was very mean. Gavvy is asking a normal question and you have basically said that it isnt interesting. Of course there are going to be things on here that people find uninteresting, dont complain about it.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I changed my cassette to 11-30 , I was told by the shop that I would be able to get up any hills! I now have a chain drive of 30-30 for hills but still struggle on the steepest. I think I need to change my legs and go some years younger.

MarkF

Guru
I tend not to look up the hill but just keep looking at the road just in front of me and grind away.

That's what I do, disconnect my thoughts from the hill and my legs entirely. :smile: Although this hasn't worked yet on the hill north out of Settle to Malham.

Oh, and Classic just reminded me, it's failed to work on Otley Chevin too.:sad:

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm a big strong lad and generally will attempt to climb anything I come across, even on fixed wheel but occasionally, I find it nice to hop off even if I have the gears and legs to do it and walk for a change of pace.

Ningishzidda

Lots of climbing usually indicates a lack of route planning.^_^

Gravity is my enemy. Holds me down going up and pushes me down going down.

There's a lot to be said for "flat".
The Earth's attraction net force is weaker than some.

PS, One is 'pulled'.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I have yet to conquer the steep hill on my way home in one try :sad:
Fortunately it's flat at the bottom so I use that part to get into a low gear, then just pedal steadily and try to get as far as I can before giving up and stopping. I find counting to ten over and over helps. I will make it one day.

See you are from Sheffield. My daughter is at Sheffield University and when I visit her, I am always amazed at how hilly a city it is, I think there would be many hills that would be difficult to conquer there, must be excellent for stamina training but I prefer the flat landscape over here being someone who likes to do things with minimal effort.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Lots of climbing usually indicates a lack of route planning.^_^

Gravity is my enemy. Holds me down going up and pushes me down going down.

There's a lot to be said for "flat".

Where I live it is generally too flat, I have to cycle about 7 to 8 miles to find a hill. Flat is good, but the lack of tackling hills seems to have stopped me building my stamina, I see cyclists elsewhere whilst out and about in the country tackling big hills and admire their ability to climb places I would give up on much sooner.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Had to get off and walk up one the other day. It was over 20% and I didn't have the gear for it :sad:
I've since been back and done it with a different bike.

Top Bottom