Steep hills.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I have granny gears on both my hybrid and road bikes and still get off and push up hills. I'm starting to have actual panic attacks about Normandy next month.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Had to get off and walk up one the other day. It was over 20% and I didn't have the gear for it :sad:
I've since been back and done it with a different bike.

Do tell.... :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you jesting about the ciggy. If not id stop smoking, you might get up the hill:biggrin:
I once did the Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge when it included a climb of Ramsbottom Rake ...

(The helmet cam rider was clearly pretty fit!)

... and one of our number got dropped. He eventually caught up as we discussed which way to go at the top of the climb. We asked him what the hold up had been and he replied that he'd run out of breath on the steepest bit so he'd stopped for a ciggy break! :wacko:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I once did the Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge when it included a climb of Ramsbottom Rake ...

(The helmet cam rider was clearly pretty fit!)

... and one of our number got dropped. He eventually caught up as we discussed which way to go at the top of the climb. We asked him what the hold up had been and he replied that he'd run out of breath on the steepest bit so he'd stopped for a ciggy break! :wacko:

They used the Rake for the National HC Championship last year. It is a proper British climbers climb, short and savage. This year they are using the Stang.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I prefer the long approaches...short sharp 15% and I'm walking...no shame in.
That. Rather that than bust a chain.or pedal just out of some stubborn wish not to walk up any.hill.

You've got a healthier attitude than me mate! I obsess over the hills that have defeated me, and resolve to get over them. I did a 100k sportive last year in a decent time, but I was so gutted I had to walk for 200yds up a hill that I felt I hadn't completed the route :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They used the Rake for the National HC Championship last year. It is a proper British climbers climb, short and savage. This year they are using the Stang.
I went over to watch when they held the championship there in 1999. Won that year by an anorexic-looking Jim Henderson who definitely had his power-to-weight ratio sorted, but looked as if he would be blown away if you sneezed in front of him! :laugh:

The top riders were impressively on top of their fixed gears but I had to laugh at the optimism of some of the also-rans ... Why on earth would you stick a gear on your bike that you were incapable of turning over on a steep climb like that! Some of the riders did inadvertent trackstands towards the top and looked as though their heads were going to explode. IIRC, one or two actually fell over.

matthat

Über Member
Where I live it is generally too flat, I have to cycle about 7 to 8 miles to find a hill. Flat is good, but the lack of tackling hills seems to have stopped me building my stamina, I see cyclists elsewhere whilst out and about in the country tackling big hills and admire their ability to climb places I would give up on much sooner.

I to used to be in southport!! Parbold is probably the one and only challenge around that way.

matthat

Über Member
I to used to be in southport!! Parbold is probably the one and only challenge around that way.

I really must start finishing reading threads before quoting!! @Roadhump I presume you know the area pretty well but a good ride is Mere Brow,Croston,eccleston,wrightington then the easier way up Parbold Hill and the best way down! :bicycle: Then as i'm sure your aware there is plenty of lanes back across to southport either clieves hill way or back scarisbrick along Drummersdale and wyke lane. I lived just by the red lion and have ridden most of the lanes around that way!

Top Bottom