Stems and Reach Calculations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Nothing wrong with asking for help mac!

Whilst your asking I shall double check my setup, I did check last time by using your elbow on edge of seat and the finger tip just touches the stem.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Joe said:

thanks Joe, I'll work at getting my head round that, will need to understand how to work out the angles of what I have first:biggrin: I've got my eye on a selection of short riser bars on e-bay as well.

This is a picture of the new butterfly incarnation, more work to be done but am awaiting some new tubular grips. As you'll see the main hand/controls position have moved from rear flats and sides, to forward flat/corners and sides. Plus I've wangled inboard bar ends for a truly aero option. Taking some measurements I have:-

nose of saddle to centre stem clamp = 460mm
nose of saddle to flat part of bar to side of clamp area = 55cm
nose of saddle to control mounting area and main hand positions = 67cm

I was thinking of having the bars less tilted as well, my only concerns are, if I bring bars too far back will the rear of them interfere with my knees. I suppose I could always cut off the flat part of the bars at the back, but want to keep them for the truly sit up and beg moments. I've also considered using a cable doubler on the front brake so that I can have a secondary lever on the flat parts as well.

picture.php

jimboalee

Nose of saddle has nothing to do with it. Remember there are many different saddles.

To calc your 'Reach' which is Centre Seat tube at its top; to Centre of handlebars at stem clamp.

1/ Measure your Height. H
2/ Measure your 'Seated height'. S
3/ Measure the height of your Sturnal Notch. T
4/ Measure your Arm Length. A

LL = H - S
B = T - LL
C = B + A

Reach = C x 0.52

jimboalee

GrahamG said:
I take it that's meant as a rough guide seeing as frame geometry and bar height are both going to have a bearing?

Nope, that's how it's worked out.

Say, for example the 'Reach' works out to 617.5mm ( mine ).
Raising the bars vertically by 20mm is going to make V little effect to 'Reach'. It might round 'Reach' off to 618mm.

I can't be bothered to do the maths cus it makes next to sod all difference. The bar height is determined by the angle of the Lumbar vertebrae to the road surface.

Incidentally, I have a Spesh SWorks 54cm size with a Toptube L of 548mm. Add on 100mm for stem length and 25mm off for the head tube angle ‘setback’ and it is 623mm.
I’m not going to grumble about 5mm too long. In fact, I have 5mm extra padding on the handlebars just where I hold them which makes them the correct distance AND more comfortable.

Tricks of the trade eh?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
Nose of saddle has nothing to do with it. Remember there are many different saddles.

To calc your 'Reach' which is Centre Seat tube at its top; to Centre of handlebars at stem clamp.

1/ Measure your Height. H
2/ Measure your 'Seated height'. S
3/ Measure the height of your Sturnal Notch. T
4/ Measure your Arm Length. A

LL = H - S
B = T - LL
C = B + A

Reach = C x 0.52

Nose of saddle does matter, that's how I measure the setback, plus your reach formula presumes drops or flats

Top Bottom