Step through.......loop frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
[QUOTE 5178935, member: 45"]Dutch bikes are different. Closer bars, more upright, higher saddle. Part of riding them like a Dutch bike involves standing in front of the saddle when stationary and hoiking back up onto the saddle when starting off.[/QUOTE]

Nearly every rider I know (apart from a few novices) gets off the saddle when stationary. Dutch bikes are just traditional roadsters.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Nearly every rider I know (apart from a few novices) gets off the saddle when stationary. Dutch bikes are just traditional roadsters.
I just lean the bike a bit to the side when at a stop while staying astride with one foot grounded and one foot on the pedal. Saves catching the seat of your pants on the nose of the saddle going back on, and is easier for me. I don't know that I would call myself a 'novice', that's just what I have always done.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Body proportions and leg length makes a difference, as does frame geometry.

I cannot stay on the saddle of a standard diamond frame bike when stopped unless there's a kerb to put one foot on.

However, it's possible to build a bike with the pedals set forward which allows full leg extension when pedalling, but also allows the rider to plonk both feet on the ground when at rest.

This Gazelle is an ebike, but they also make a push bike version.

Similar geometry bikes are called 'flat foots', a term which I believe may have orginated in America.

https://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/products/bikes/by-brand/gazelle/gazelle-balance-c7-hfp-unisex

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
[QUOTE 5179606, member: 45"]Most people do what you do. Apart from the novices. Who are probably ugly as well.[/QUOTE]
:laugh: and let's not forget their terrible fashion sense...

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I just lean the bike a bit to the side when at a stop while staying astride with one foot grounded and one foot on the pedal. Saves catching the seat of your pants on the nose of the saddle going back on, and is easier for me. I don't know that I would call myself a 'novice', that's just what I have always done.

I slide forward off the saddle when coming to a stop and assumed that's what everyone else does. I never considered that people might stay on the saddle when stopped.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I slide forward off the saddle when coming to a stop and assumed that's what everyone else does. I never considered that people might stay on the saddle when stopped.
I had never considered that people might get off the saddle at a stop until I saw someone do it at a red light years ago, seems a bit inconvenient hopping off and on and I thought maybe he had borrowed someone's bike that wasn't the right size. Whatever works for folks, as long as they are comfortable and riding!

Edited to add that User and I were not making fun of you or anyone who does so, or calling them novices. Rather we were poking fun at the attitude of the previous poster who assumed that anyone who does something differently than him/her must be a noob. ^_^

DM23

Until last year I'd always ridden "mens" bikes as they don't really make many "womens" bikes in a large enough size for me (6' with a 36" inside leg) - and the only times I've ever fallen off were when I was stationary trying to mount or dismount. Kept catching my leg on either the trunk bag or the saddle. A couple of times shopping in France I've managed to break the baguette sticking out the back of the bag :thumbsdown:

Got my step through last year and its the best decision I ever made. I have my saddle pretty high so I still need to lean to the side and put a foot down, or jump off the saddle when stopped, but that was exactly the same on the old bike. Getting on or off it is a dream - I don't need to worry about what I have on the rack behind me, and I can wear a dress or skirt if I want. For me the bike is more about transport than sport though so comfort and practicality are the main considerations.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
See THIS thread for some debate on both sides of the argument.

Not entirely sure about your 'balancing at traffic lights' point? There should be no tricky balancing required with either type of bike unless it is grossly mis-sized for you!
Depends on bottom bracket height, amongst others.

As I probably wrote in the poll, Dutch cyclists seem to prefer to just stay seated and put a foot on the kerb or waiting rail, but they're on better cycleways than ours.

Top Bottom