What do you do at a stop? Poll...

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by ADarkDraconis, 12 Mar 2018.

?
  1. Get off of the saddle

68 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. Lean the bike

54 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Trackstand

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Other: please specify your greatness...

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Inspired by another thread in which people are discussing how you position yourself on your bike at a stop, I thought I'd get others' opinions!

Some riders lean their bike and keep on the saddle with one foot on a pedal and one on the ground. Some riders dismount the saddle and straddle the top tube with one or both feet on the ground. Yet others are masters of their craft and can balance without touching the ground at all as if by magic! What's your preference? Any pros or cons for you? Are you open to trying something different to see if it might work better for you? Is it weird that this is even a poll? Inquiring minds want to know!

2. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

A London driver, next to me at a red light, shouted out of his window at a track stander......

"Stop poncing about, you tw*t."

3. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Can you please add the option "anchovies" to the poll? Just like pizza, no poll's complete without them.

RoubaixCube, rikki, smutchin and 5 others like this.
  4. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

You left out the option - don’t stop at all, shoot through on the red...

Rooster1, Dogtrousers, Dan B and 4 others like this.
  5. Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa Senior Member

I normally track stand which can be a giggle when your panniers are jam packed with the weekly work clothes ready to be washed. Needless to say had some failed attempts!

Pat "5mph" and ADarkDraconis like this.
  6. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Track stand at every opportunity.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  7. Drago

Drago Guru

Trackstand, while rolling a cigarette, doing the Telegraph crossword, and biting a juicy virgins neck.

8. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I can trackstand for just a few seconds so I generally just dab one foot while staying in the saddle.

I see loads of guys try to do it and it all looks cool for about the first ten seconds then the wobble sets in. I find this particularly funny when the lights have only just changed and I know they're going to be red for a good minute and a half. The poor sod's torn between falling over and looking like a prat, or dabbing a foot down and looking like a failure.

Unless you're truly proficient at it, I'd say it's a complete waste of energy and effort.

9. si_c

si_c Veteran

Depends on the junction and light timings. If I think I can hold it, trackstand, if not, or there's not much space around the cars, I'll put a foot down.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  10. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Normaly, out of the saddle and one foot down. But occasionally there is a lamp post or fence or railings at the kerb side, allowing me to hold and remain on the saddle and clipped in.

11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Unclip left foot, put on kerb or road while leaning sat on saddle. I can't trackstand for more than about a second

iancity and ADarkDraconis like this.
  12. swansonj

swansonj Guru

I am also a left foot on road (whether out of saddle and foot planted firmly on road, or in saddle and stretched toe just touching road) and right foot on pedal. But I'm always surprised to see how many people unclip right and leave left in. Seems counterintuitive to me when pavements are on left and motor vehicles on right. If you are in strong primary it makes no difference but still seems odd to me. (Not a criticism of anyone else, just puzzlement. )

iancity and ADarkDraconis like this.
  13. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Think it’s just how it happens. @jefmcg is a right foot unclipper. Think she said she stands the other way round on a surf board too (not something I’ve ever attempted)

theclaud and ADarkDraconis like this.
  14. Oldbloke

Oldbloke Guru

Let the stabilisers down:biggrin:

15. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

Trackstand while riding my trike :tongue:

Pat "5mph", Mrs M, swansonj and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice