What do you do at a stop? Poll...

What do you do at a stop?

• Get off of the saddle

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Lean the bike

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Trackstand

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other: please specify your greatness...

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Inspired by another thread in which people are discussing how you position yourself on your bike at a stop, I thought I'd get others' opinions!

Some riders lean their bike and keep on the saddle with one foot on a pedal and one on the ground. Some riders dismount the saddle and straddle the top tube with one or both feet on the ground. Yet others are masters of their craft and can balance without touching the ground at all as if by magic! What's your preference? Any pros or cons for you? Are you open to trying something different to see if it might work better for you? Is it weird that this is even a poll? Inquiring minds want to know!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A London driver, next to me at a red light, shouted out of his window at a track stander......

"Stop poncing about, you tw*t."

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can trackstand for just a few seconds so I generally just dab one foot while staying in the saddle.

I see loads of guys try to do it and it all looks cool for about the first ten seconds then the wobble sets in. I find this particularly funny when the lights have only just changed and I know they're going to be red for a good minute and a half. The poor sod's torn between falling over and looking like a prat, or dabbing a foot down and looking like a failure.

Unless you're truly proficient at it, I'd say it's a complete waste of energy and effort.

si_c

Guru
Depends on the junction and light timings. If I think I can hold it, trackstand, if not, or there's not much space around the cars, I'll put a foot down.

swansonj

Guru
Unclip left foot, put on kerb or road while leaning sat on saddle. I can't trackstand for more than about a second
I am also a left foot on road (whether out of saddle and foot planted firmly on road, or in saddle and stretched toe just touching road) and right foot on pedal. But I'm always surprised to see how many people unclip right and leave left in. Seems counterintuitive to me when pavements are on left and motor vehicles on right. If you are in strong primary it makes no difference but still seems odd to me. (Not a criticism of anyone else, just puzzlement. )

Top Bottom