What do you do at a stop? Poll...

What do you do at a stop?

• Get off of the saddle

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Lean the bike

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Trackstand

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other: please specify your greatness...

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im a bit wary of a track stand after a dovy bint came into the back of me. I got to a rbt and stopped, she stopped too. It was quite a busy rbt but I could see a gap just after the old fashioned sportss car on my right so I ended up trackstanding. I didn't get a chance to go into that gap. The driver behind me thought the sports car had indicated and I was going into a non existent gap and accelerated into the back of me. FFS it was an old fashioned sports car with wheels outside its body and it was clear it wasn't going off the rbt.

sight-pin

Veteran
Off saddle left foot down unless i can place my foot on the kerb where i stay in the saddle.

si_c

Guru
I am also a left foot on road (whether out of saddle and foot planted firmly on road, or in saddle and stretched toe just touching road) and right foot on pedal. But I'm always surprised to see how many people unclip right and leave left in. Seems counterintuitive to me when pavements are on left and motor vehicles on right. If you are in strong primary it makes no difference but still seems odd to me. (Not a criticism of anyone else, just puzzlement. )

I've found I prefer to lead with my left leg when riding, I'll always put my right foot down if I can. I also trackstand with left foot forward. I don't know why, I'm right handed.

steverob

Guru
If I'm near to the kerb, then left foot down on that so I can stay in the saddle. If not, then usually it's still left foot down, but I'll probably drop down off the saddle rather than staying on and leaning the bike. Never managed more than about 2-3 seconds track standing, so that's rarely an option for me.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
You left out the option - don’t stop at all, shoot through on the red...
Wasn't necessarily at a red light (although hopefully you do stop at those!), but any time you stop moving for a moment.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Wow, left leg vs. right leg debate as well! I always stay in the saddle and lean but don't know which I use more, I think right foot is usually on the ground but often do left as well. Silly as it sounds I think it depends on which pedal ends up nearer the front and then I freewheel it to the top-ish once stopped if needed.

Lonestar

Veteran
Wow, left leg vs. right leg debate as well! I always stay in the saddle and lean but don't know which I use more, I think right foot is usually on the ground but often do left as well. Silly as it sounds I think it depends on which pedal ends up nearer the front and then I freewheel it to the top-ish once stopped if needed.

That's a useful skill to have.I have always used my left side to put foot down...but after recent left knee injury due to a spill I found I couldn't get out of the left cleat to put foot down and panicked a bit.Managed to put my right foot down but it wasn't easy (as I'm not used to it) just as a car was approaching me.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
That's a useful skill to have.I have always used my left side to put foot down...but after recent left knee injury due to a spill I found I couldn't get out of the left cleat to put foot down and panicked a bit.Managed to put my right foot down but it wasn't easy (as I'm not used to it) just as a car was approaching me.
Thanks, I never thought of it as a skill but it was just something I have always done. To make it far less impressive, I will let you know that I use regular shoes and flat pedals! Hope your knee is better, and maybe practising with your other foot will help you get used to it so if you need to do it again you are comfortable.

Lonestar

Veteran
Thanks, I never thought of it as a skill but it was just something I have always done. To make it far less impressive, I will let you know that I use regular shoes and flat pedals! Hope your knee is better, and maybe practising with your other foot will help you get used to it so if you need to do it again you are comfortable.

No I doubt I could use my right whether I was using trainers or not...These spd shoes are easy to handle.

Thanks...Knee has been a problem since Feb 15th when front wheel slipped on cobblestones at East India near Canning Town.

Good idea to practice with right side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom