What do you do at a stop? Poll...

What do you do at a stop?

• Get off of the saddle

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Lean the bike

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Trackstand

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other: please specify your greatness...

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
handbrake on and gear into neutral

bpsmith

Veteran
Do you dismount then and straddle the top tube? If your saddle is that high isn't getting back into it difficult?
I track stand generally, as above, whith the second option being a lean on a traffic light, post or railing. Where it’s an obvious longer delay, or not enough space in traffic, then it’s left foot out and straddle with right foot still clipped in.

mgs315

Do you dismount then and straddle the top tube? If your saddle is that high isn't getting back into it difficult?

Nah I’m pretty much the same. If I can’t put my foot on a kerb a few inches higher than the road I end up having to be right on my tiptoes to avoid leaning the bike over to a stupid angle so it’s much easier to just keep one foot (usually my right) clipped in and simply lean forward and rest on the top tube (though having it horizontal helps, if not I’d just stand).

To get back on just push off with a slight kick down of the right leg and I end up at slightly above saddle height usually.

Any lower a saddle and my knees hurt. Full leg extension has just the right amount of bend left in the knee too.

As for the OP, I do all three, just at different times. Sit and lean if I’ve got a kerb, off the saddle and sit on the top tube if I don’t and track stand if I reckon the lights are going to change within 10 or so seconds and I’ve got the room to make sure I only damage myself if it goes wrong.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Nah I’m pretty much the same. If I can’t put my foot on a kerb a few inches higher than the road I end up having to be right on my tiptoes to avoid leaning the bike over to a stupid angle so it’s much easier to just keep one foot (usually my right) clipped in and simply lean forward and rest on the top tube (though having it horizontal helps, if not I’d just stand).

To get back on just push off with a slight kick down of the right leg and I end up at slightly above saddle height usually.

Any lower a saddle and my knees hurt. Full leg extension has just the right amount of bend left in the knee too.

As for the OP, I do all three, just at different times. Sit and lean if I’ve got a kerb, off the saddle and sit on the top tube if I don’t and track stand if I reckon the lights are going to change within 10 or so seconds and I’ve got the room to make sure I only damage myself if it goes wrong.
I don't usually find myself that close to the curbs while riding. I keep a fair foot and a half out to avoid being squashed (and riding in our terrible gutters) and at lights I will take the lane, that way people can't cut in front and turn in front of me when it changes.

It depends on the bike I’m using, the reason for, and manner of the ‘stop’.

classic33

Leg End Member
Wow, left leg vs. right leg debate as well! I always stay in the saddle and lean but don't know which I use more, I think right foot is usually on the ground but often do left as well. Silly as it sounds I think it depends on which pedal ends up nearer the front and then I freewheel it to the top-ish once stopped if needed.
Does which side of the road you use play a part?

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Does which side of the road you use play a part?
I was considering that, as well as left-handed vs. right-handed. I am on the right side of the road unless going into a left-turn-only lane and I am ambidextrous (but write mostly righty and do everything else mostly lefty.)

mgs315

I don't usually find myself that close to the curbs while riding. I keep a fair foot and a half out to avoid being squashed (and riding in our terrible gutters) and at lights I will take the lane, that way people can't cut in front and turn in front of me when it changes.

Aye makes sense to take the commanding position when possible but I tend to find there’s cars in the advance cycle stop box (or even in the pedestrian crossings/edge of box junctions) or I’m filtering up past dozens of cars as it is (yay London). When that happens I stick behind anyone I can’t filter past and assume the middle of the lane until through the junction or if I can get to the front I tend to find I can get away from the lights faster than most motorised vehicles so it doesn’t seem to pose a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Aye makes sense to take the commanding position when possible but I tend to find there’s cars in the advance cycle stop box (or even in the pedestrian crossings/edge of box junctions) or I’m filtering up past dozens of cars as it is (yay London). When that happens I stick behind anyone I can’t filter past and assume the middle of the lane until through the junction or if I can get to the front I tend to find I can get away from the lights faster than most motorised vehicles so it doesn’t seem to pose a problem.
Oh, we don't have advanced cycle stops here. I don't filter either, it always makes me nervous as a driver when bikes do that so I just wait my turn in line like any vehicle. I am an odd biker, I know. :laugh:

Top Bottom