What do you do at a stop? Poll...

What do you do at a stop?

• Get off of the saddle

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Lean the bike

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Trackstand

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other: please specify your greatness...

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siclo

Veteran
It depends on the situation, if I know the lights are coming up to change in my favour I'll trackstand, if there's a convenient bus to lean on I'll do that and not unclip, if I do unclip it's always the right and I'll get off the saddle since it's very unusual for me to be close enough to the kerb to touch it and I can't touch the floor by leaning.

Maenchi

StoneDog
Used to use spd's so I (ahem) perfected to a degree the trackstand :angel: sometimes.
With the flats I use now i'll see if I still can trackstand at a short stop, which I can, (some)
Mostly it's left foot down on the road or kerb or lean on street furniture.
............and then there are times i'll hang forward onto the bars for a rest sitting on the top tube whilst supping a quick espresso..........:becool:..and typing a reply to this thread !

Last edited:
Unclip Left Foot and Lean. I see some people unclip right but this just doesnt seem right to me when I was taught to ride a bike i was taught to pull away with the drive side pedal at 2 o'clock and this is what i have always done
Some people are left footed, it's easier for them to balance on their right leg than their left leg (imagine a right footed person kicking a football, they balance on their left leg).

Easier for left footers to mount a bike from the right side (I can't do it to save my life, feels really weird).

mgs315

Some people are left footed, it's easier for them to balance on their right leg than their left leg (imagine a right footed person kicking a football, they balance on their left leg).

Easier for left footers to mount a bike from the right side (I can't do it to save my life, feels really weird).

I must admit as a leftie I don’t think I’ve paid that much attention to what side I mount/dismount or clip/unclip. I can do both and neither feels odd. Then again there tends to be a fair bit of forced ambidexterity when learning things from righties as a leftie. Proves quite handy really.

Tin Pot

Guru
I slow when I see the red, and roll up such that I’m still moving when it turns green again. Conservation of momentum.

A London driver, next to me at a red light, shouted out of his window at a track stander......

"Stop poncing about, you tw*t."

For once I’m with th driver ;)

Trackstand until the wobbles kick in and I have to put a foot down (either 30 seconds in or .5 seconds before the light changes). If longer then it's the 'I think I'm a pro' poser stance, sitting on the top tube, which is actually a comfy position.

2015_aust_nationals_mensrr_01_670.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't usually find myself that close to the curbs while riding. I keep a fair foot and a half out to avoid being squashed (and riding in our terrible gutters) and at lights I will take the lane, that way people can't cut in front and turn in front of me when it changes.
Same here.
I stay on the saddle, put mu left food down.
I also turn back to make eye contacts with the driver, in case they want to rear end me :whistle: if it's a big truck or bus I wave at the driver, give them a smile, to make double sure they know I'm there.
Sadly, many times I see the drivers behind me engrossed with something on their lap :evil:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It depends 60/40 i lean the bike while in the saddle with one foot on the ground while other times i get out of the saddle while having one foot on the ground.

I also have a look at what's around me to see if there are any potential hazards i need to worry about when setting off.

Getting 'shoaled' by other cyclists who push in front of me who then are the slowest off the start line are minor annoyance of mine.

Or maybe they think its because I'm a big bloke on a bike that im slower than them on their beaten up fixies or Dutch bikes.

Top Bottom