What do you do at a stop? Poll...

What do you do at a stop?

• Get off of the saddle

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Lean the bike

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • Trackstand

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other: please specify your greatness...

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If the lights are red and there is an inside cycle lane then i will slow up and creep forward to save stopping and unclipping . I'm a bit like the OP and normally just take my place in the traffic though .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quick stop such as a junctuon...one foot unclip

Longer stop such as traffic lights..both unclip, rest forearms on handlebars and try to look cool

Also if there are metal railings by the road, such as at traffic lights, I will try to stop without unclipping and just hold the railings. This can be a recipe for disaster

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
If the lights are red and there is an inside cycle lane then i will slow up and creep forward to save stopping and unclipping . I'm a bit like the OP and normally just take my place in the traffic though .
If there is a cycle lane, creep away! We have maybe all of 4 in my city (none on my commute but one on the way to the grocery store for a short ways! And plenty of those 'sharrows' to remind people not to run me over), and none in the town I work in so I am pretty much just a car with pedals as far as positioning.

bpsmith

Veteran
Trackstands are a fixie pose; and as fixies are a vogue it all looks a bit attention-seeking. Chapeau to the discreet minimalist purists though!
I will stop doing a track stand, when the car drivers stop sitting there in gear with one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake, with handbrake disengaged. ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now I'm mainly off road, I do find it easier to drop the seat post (dropper post on an MTB) to get back on, especially later on in a ride when my back starts to get stiff. Quick press of the button, and the saddle lowers out of the way, can get me leg over and get off for hike a bike over fences, then easier to get back on. I'm OK early on in a ride, but it's a god send later on. Best invention ever after the wheel and winter MTB boots.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Left foot unclipped, a slight lean to the left and toe down on kerb/road while still in the saddle as most are short stops. For longer stops it's left foot unclipped, off the saddle and foot down flat on the road to avoid calf muscle stretch/cramp. Right foot stays clipped in for all stops.

trewlis

Regular
Left foot unclipped, a slight lean to the left and toe down on kerb/road while still in the saddle as most are short stops. For longer stops it's left foot unclipped, off the saddle and foot down flat on the road to avoid calf muscle stretch/cramp. Right foot stays clipped in for all stops.

I do the same thing too!

Sharky

Guru
When I am riding this beast, I don't seem to have a problem:-

P6040067.JPG

MiK1138

Veteran
Unclip Left Foot and Lean. I see some people unclip right but this just doesnt seem right to me when I was taught to ride a bike i was taught to pull away with the drive side pedal at 2 o'clock and this is what i have always done

Top Bottom