1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Berry on bus lanes

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 27 Feb 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Jeremy Vine has just had Steve Berry and Roger Geffen (CTC) on debating about allowing motorbikes into bus lanes.

I used to think Steve Berry was a decent bloke. It was very disappointing listening. He wouldn't let Geffen get more than a few words out before shouting him down. He shouted over the pollution facts and the accident facts by saying that his dad had a bike that did 120mpg, by saying that he cycled more miles per week than Geffen and then finally, as his views swirled down the plughole, he shouted "WELLL BAN US THEN !! WHY! DON'T YOU JUST BAN US ALL?? THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT, ISN'T IT?????".

Which isn't what was being argued at all.

When it's on listen again, have a listen. It started around 1.40pm.

FWIW, I see little problem in allowing responsible and experienced bikers into bus lanes. It's the idiots who collide with cyclists though, and unfortunately if you let one in you've got to let them all in.

2. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

I don't think motorbikes should be allowed into bus lanes. Nothing to do with safety - it goes against the whole point of bus lanes which is to prioritise public transport over private motorised transport.

3. PatrickPending

PatrickPending Veteran

steve 'rent a quote' berry always appears on these phone in shows. God knows why as he seems incapable of reasoned intelligent debate as you heard earlier.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It shocked me. He always seemed able to string a sentence together when I've seen him on motoring programmes.

Oh, and I forgot to say. According to him we're all beardy blokes who never cycle on the road and instead spend all our time on the internet moaning about how we hate all other road users.

Which is completely untrue. All of it. Well, er,...

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

6. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

I had to laugh when he called the CTC guy a " Weirdy Beardy Bloke " and the bit about internet forums :thumbsup: i thought it was 20 Inch or ccsimon :thumbsup:

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

1 hour 35 minutes.

It's funny.

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

*adjusts large bosum in the manner of Les Dawson character*

A vile slur! I'll have him know my hormonal imbalance due to being a lady of a certain age means I shave at least three times a day! No beard for me! That and he hasn't read my Tarmac thread. Harrumph!

*miffed twiddling of pearls & adjusting of twinset*
    :biggrin:

9. LLB

LLB Guest

Which defeats the object of allowing cyclists into there as well :biggrin:

10. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

I have no problem with cyclists in bus lanes because a) they're not motorised transport and :eek: buses and cycles have similar average speeds.

11. LLB

LLB Guest

The idea of allowing motorcycles into bus lanes is to allow people to commute in a less congesting way over greater distances than they would be able to on a cycle. Also the safety aspect is one to be considered.

Not everyone rides a motorcycle with disregard to others in the same way that not everyone on a cycle rides on the pavement or regularly RLJs.

I think it unfair that the majority should be judged on the actions of the minority....

12. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I accept that point about prioritisation, but do think that practically it's more to do with letting buses beat the queues, hence why so many only operate at certain times of day.

Motorbikes do not cause queues, in fact they lessen them since each biker is potentially one fewer car on the road.

It would be fairly simple to have a system where bikers keep to the right of the lane and cyclists to the left, though whether either party would stick to it i don't know.

I think we have a lot in common with bikers though, we are both vulnerable road users, and I don't think moaning on about this paints us in a very good light. We wanted to be 'treated as traffic', but then we also keep asking for special priviledges......

13. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Yes, but as I said if you open up bus lanes to bikers, then you let the cycle/pedestrian killers in.

How could you allow access without doing this?

14. LLB

LLB Guest

Has Spinners hacked your account MrP ?

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's a serious question linf.