Stevenage CTC End of summertime Ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Me and the Lady wife's first audax and her first ride over ten miles, her on a rather low end front sus mtb (she refused to listen to me)

I had to go home to get my shoes when we were halfway there so we started last, with no breakfast and stayed last barring two charming and plucky girls that were even slower than the lady wife, being followed at a funeral pace by a car in support of them, I think a chap that packed with 'broken brakes' five miles in

We just about got to the last control as it was nearly closing, then it got dark and chucked it down for almost the rest of the ride, including some rather (very very) painstaking navigation back through Stevenage, I was using an early route sheet stuffed into a pocket method that didn't allow for torrential rain

the lady wife's lightweight waterproofs were found out and I forget to fully charge my front light so we had to do some very dark lanes, in pouring rain, with the light on low

almost the last direction was an 'eighth right turn' on a busy road, what joy reading that under a streetlight

but we got there and learnt a great deal

I may have mixed this seamlessly with a SEG75 done a few months later, that time we didn't make all the controls in time, the eight right was that one i think in defense of the Stevenage chaps

anyway, I fancy this one, hopefully (bless her) without the Lady wife who is very plucky etc etc but slow and following Zumba as the road to tone and shape, rather than cycling

Tynan

Veteran
Yes, I plan to attend barring unforseeables and would be keen to ride with any other chatters that want my company, I have a bottom end GPS and my a chain box route sheet holder to contribute to the group assets

If I ride to Finsbury Park there's a fast train to Stevenage in a ludicrous 12 minutes which is nice, even if it does cost a ludicrous £10.50 for the privilege

30 miles from my house to the start which is a bit of a slog, as tight as i am

Tynan

Veteran
blimey

best do the paperwork I guess

form filled in, now the tricksy envelopes and stamps

simgsxr

Have attended on 2 previous years, will ride this year with 4-5 self indulgent like-minded people who appreciate well organised routes, rolling country roads interrupted with splendid tea & cake stops whatever the weather :biggrin:

Camrider

This will be my 2nd Audax ride providing the 1st one (Chris Negus Memorial 105K on Saturday) does not finish me off
biggrin.gif

If you find yourself whizzing past a middle aged guy riding a mat black Rohloff equipped bike it will probably be me.

Tynan

Veteran
my entry was posted on Friday after a few weeks resting in my draer at work

so we can all relax now, here's to some decent weather

stevevw

Guru
We should get a CC Chaingang going for this one, must be the fastest way to get from one cake stop to the next.

By the way Tynan you coming to the Velodrome on the 9th?

Tynan

Veteran
hey Steve

No, not my bag, at least I don't think so, I get all the riding I need commuting, thanks for the offer though, I thought it was an all parties invite so didn;t reply

yes to cc posse, I'm so tight and pinched for cash I'm psyching myself to ride to the start, 30 miles give or take, so I might be slightly warmed up at the start line and trying to hold something in reserve at the end

Tynan

Veteran
List of confirmed entrants now up!

Tynan is there!

Now for some overshoes and arsing around with the gpx file, route sheets and find my loving crafted route sheet holder

Top Bottom