Sticky front mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks all.
I think I'll saturate it with wd40 etc all week, then soak it in oil over the weekend (when I don't need to ride it) to see if I can free it up, before re investing in a new one.
Quick, possibly daft question, will any 9sp triple tiagra mech work? There seem to be various types. And wiggle has ones with different mm dimensions, what do these refer to?

lpretro1

The measurements will be for downtube width - make sure you get right one for your bike

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Yes. Measure the down tube diameter carefully and get (a clamp on) one the right size. Assume your frame hasn't got a braze on. Don't be tempted to get a bigger one and shim it down. Not worth the hassle.
Ah, yes mine is a braze on. So I guess from what you,and @lpretro1 say, they are all the same, and the mm measurements relate to the downtube if you need a clamp, which I don't. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

pclay

Veteran
If you can get the mech to move by force, then it's just stiff. I had a frozen tiagra FD a few times (all weather riding). Take off the FD, soak in olive oil for 24 hours, rinse off the oil, and it should be good to go.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Ah, yes mine is a braze on. So I guess they are all the same, and the mm measurements relate to the downtube if you need a clamp, which I don't. Thanks for the info.
If you can get the mech to move by force, then it's just stiff. I had a frozen tiagra FD a few times (all weather riding). Take off the FD, soak in olive oil for 24 hours, rinse off the oil, and it should be good to go.
why olive oil? Thanks

pclay

Veteran
why olive oil? Thanks

...because I did not have anything else to soak it in. I didn't want to use the same quantity of muc off chain lube as this would have been ridiculously expensive. When I used olive oil, the FD was totally submerged, so I needed about 400ml of the stuff.

Of course, you could try another lubricant / oil.

Mine was a bit sticky first up today, after a couple of days riding out in much mud and muck. Got a surprise at a local ford as it was much deeper than normal (well, it has been raining here since last Friday) and suddenly it was OK. I suspect the ford washed all the muck out from the guides under the bottom bracket.

Top Bottom