Still can`t bring myself.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I have been riding now for 5 years and have never joined a club, although I have thought about it a number of times.

One of the problems for me, is that I find I riding in the mornings far harder and less enjoyable than if I rider later in the day. I do appreciate that the clubs near to where I work, do go out for evening rides in the week, but because of my job I cannot always be available to make these, which is why I have never joined. However, I do think that this year I will take the plunge and join one of the local clubs, but I do not see me making many of the Sunday club rides, but where possible, I will go on the evening rides during the week.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do appreciate that the clubs near to where I work, do go out for evening rides in the week, but because of my job I cannot always be available to make these, which is why I have never joined. However, I do think that this year I will take the plunge and join one of the local clubs, but I do not see me making many of the Sunday club rides, but where possible, I will go on the evening rides during the week.
Yeah, very very few clubs expect you to be there for every ride. Go when you can. Don't when you can't. It's still good.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not been on a listed club run for 10 years, I have been on a lot of rides with fellow club mates though.

adamangler

Veteran
Ive been riding 3 years. But im back to being a noob. I ride for a few months then get bored and stop for a few months. Thats just how i am with hobbies, theres no point trying to fight it just go with the flow if i dont want to go cycling and want to go fishing then ill just go fishing and vice versa

adamangler

Veteran
Also i have just joined a club for the first time this week, although i am not going out with them till next week. Hopefully this will be the motivation to ride for years to come.

I much prefer riding in the morning, especially on a sunday, i get up 7am, quick coffee and straight out.. at the moment im doing about 40 miles, trying to increase that slightly every week, usually home before 10 am which means im on the road when they are the most quiet as shops generally dont open whilst 10 and it means i still have the rest of the day left to chill out or do other things, or keep the missus happy. I would find it more difficult to go out later after ive been busy i probably couldnt be bothered later in the day.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Still haven`t been been able to find the enthusiasm to get out on a Sunday, I guess that`s telling me all I need to know really - I don`t want to be tied. I`m up early every day for work and out on the bike for 7am, why should I have to get up at 6.30 on a Sunday just for a bike ride?? If it was a bit later maybe I`d be more interested, but I`ve got to say it now - I can`t be arsed:whistle:

adamangler

Veteran
You don't have to get up early that's just my preference as I can have a lie in when I want (self employed). You could ride in the afternoon. But if you can't be arsed you can't be arsed just forget about it until the feeling comes back.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
@speccy1 like you I am up early in the week for work and do not want to do the same on a Saturday or Sunday morning. However, I have found going out for an early evening ride to be good. You find the roads are quite quiet on a Sunday.

adamangler

Veteran
Suppose it depends how much sleep you need. I find 8 hours is plenty. Bed at 11pm up at 7 Sunday morning, back changed and eaten by 11am. Rest of day left to do whatever.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bed at 11pm up at 7 Sunday morning, back changed and eaten by 11am. Rest of day left to do whatever.
Suppose it depends on what you want from a ride. 4 hours including getting ready, getting to the start, returning from the finish, changing and eating sounds like the ride must be short and/or not go anywhere interesting enough to stop and look at things. Meanwhile I was up at 8 on Saturday, leisurely breakfast, 10am start 5 miles away, 40ish mile ride in wellies with plenty of stops to collect money and look at stuff, lunch and return, pick up some shopping on the way back in. Sunday left for doing whatever :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
Still haven`t been been able to find the enthusiasm to get out on a Sunday, I guess that`s telling me all I need to know really - I don`t want to be tied. I`m up early every day for work and out on the bike for 7am, why should I have to get up at 6.30 on a Sunday just for a bike ride?? If it was a bit later maybe I`d be more interested, but I`ve got to say it now - I can`t be arsed:whistle:
joining a club committee is often the biggest mistake to make. Turning up to a club ride with no responsibility whenever you feel like it makes it very enjoyable, however once you get involved in club politics and all the nonsense that exists n most clubs combined with leading rides that people don't seem to appreciate it can all quickly turn sour.
If you do start riding with them again, resist any temptation to become more involved again - keep it simple and keep a healthy distance - just enjoy the rides and leave it at that.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

joining a club committee is often the biggest mistake to make. Turning up to a club ride with no responsibility whenever you feel like it makes it very enjoyable, however once you get involved in club politics and all the nonsense that exists n most clubs combined with leading rides that people don't seem to appreciate it can all quickly turn sour.
If you do start riding with them again, resist any temptation to become more involved again - keep it simple and keep a healthy distance - just enjoy the rides and leave it at that.
I think you have hit the nail on the head, getting involved with the politics of the club was my demise. I cycled with them for 4 years and had a whale of a time, got involved with the committee and then 6 months later it was all over......

e-rider

crappy member
I think you have hit the nail on the head, getting involved with the politics of the club was my demise. I cycled with them for 4 years and had a whale of a time, got involved with the committee and then 6 months later it was all over......
yes and now you know about the politics, the nonsense, and the idiots on the committee it will be hard to show your face again after leaving, or at least in your own mind - the reality is that many people will probably be very happy to see you out again so go and give it another shot

e-rider

crappy member
Why do so many clubs seem to struggle with politics? What are the typical fault lines?
club kit design
club ride starting times
distance/speed of club rides
helmet/no helmet policy
ride leaders feeling unappreciated/disrespected
how to spend club funds
but most of all, the biggest problem is that you have a large(ish) group of people that wouldn't normally be friends or like each other, spending time together on Sunday mornings - some are rich, some are poor, some are company directors others are unemployed, some vote for UKIP, some vote GREEN - of course they are not going to get on just because they all like cycling!!!

Top Bottom