Still confused about bike gps stuff..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I know we spoke lots about these in th epast, but I am coming back round to the idea of one of these with european maps etc....I know Brock is using one but I forget which set up he eventually took with him....and I cant find th eold thread....I think it was a Garmin of some kind with european maps...does anybody know?..Brock..you out there ?

dodgy

You're probably talking about a Garmin Edge 605 or 705? There's a bit of information on my site, possibly even more useful stuff in the comments :angry:

http://www.velorider.co.uk/wp02/?p=29

Dave.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Here is another review of the Garmin Edge 705, it is a bit like those GPS system which drivers use to get lost, only this one is purpose built for bikes...

The other option, which is a wee bit more expensive and not purpose built for bikes, but have better maps is the Satmap Active 10...

yello

A 705 is overkill for touring surely? Do you want cadence and heart rate monitoring? There are cheaper options for just sat nav.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

So the 705 with some european maps would work ok for getting me through the back streets of french cities?

I am not fussed about all the training programmes on it though, just want a good, easy to use, accurate, waterproof GPS set up that works in Europe and the UK that is specifically cyclist friendly.

domtyler

Über Member
The 705 is not for touring, the battery only last a day at the most for a start and it is has built in HRM, cadence etc. It is meant for taking you out on training rides, bring you home again and then allowing you to replay your ride and see every detail from wind speed to calories burned and a full colour terrain map.

For touring you would need something like the eTrex.

domtyler

Über Member
Kirstie said:
I'll just add that the garmin support line is really first rate. They are fab to deal with on the phone.

Do you phone them up 'just for a chat' sometimes? :evil:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I just spoke to Garmin and yes they are most helpful.

They advised me to buy a Garmin edge 605 and the city navigator europe maps card because I said I dont need a heart moniter (..might do after I get the bill a suppose!)

There are apparently two options on the 606 & 705 :

Option one = expensive but allows you to pre programme everything on a pc and upload it to the Garmin prior to your trip.
Option 2 = cheaper but you have to do all the route planning on the Garmin unit as it does not support pc use.

The City navigator europe maps are street level maps and cover all of the UK and Europe except some parts of eastern europe apparently.

The 605 &705 plot your position from a satellite and direct you via th eon screen display as you ride. There is no verbal direction but a loud bleep when you need to turn.

I

yello

Hmmm, I'm sure it's sound advice from Garmin, but I still reckon there's a more appropriate, and more affordable, option that the 605.... time to google.

Top Bottom