Still confused about bike gps stuff..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
NickM said:
...you would need Mapsource to be installed on the PC you were using to transfer files to the GPS, wouldn't you?

Further to the above, I think I have an answer.

GPSBabel will allow you to load .gpx files into a GPS without Mapsource. Furthermore, it is available as an .exe file, so you can carry it around on a memory stick along with your route library and run it to load up your GPS wherever you can find a PC. It is not the friendliest of programs, but will solve your problem, I reckon :smile:

But just in case it doesn't work, please test this suggestion before depending upon it!

PS there is lots of helpful stuff, written in a style which even I (who am techno-reluctant) can understand, here (click on "GPS", at bottom right in the blue panel)

yello

Like I said, 2 days ago!

yello said:
You don't need mapping software on a PC to route build; there are a few web sites (e.g. www.mapmyride.com) that allow you to plot a route and save it on your PC as a gpx file. That file can then be sent to GPS using a free sofware tool like GPSBabel.

;)

MotionBased (the Garmin route logging site) will allow you to upload a gpx format and download a crs (Garmin course file) if you prefer.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks guys:becool:;)...I will try that babel site thing when I get the unit tomorrow...I found out my memory stick is 2gb which I am told by teenagers is big.

I managed to download the gps file for the romantic strasse in germany (and unzip it I think)...but I cannot do anything with it...I assume I will be able to do something when I have th eunti and the mapsource thing installed.

http://www.gpstracks.nl/
is a cool site...are there any other such places (preferably in English)? ...My Dutch (or was that Flemish??) isnt so good these days:biggrin:

I will try to use bike toaster without th eautorouting etc...thanks for the tip:smile:

yello

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I managed to download the gps file for the romantic strasse in germany (and unzip it I think)...but I cannot do anything with it...I assume I will be able to do something when I have th eunti and the mapsource thing installed.

You could upload it to one of the web sites (toaster, mapmyride or even motionbased) just to have a look. If the file has a .gpx extension (end bit of the file name) then it should upload just fine. It's a useful way to check the format is good before sending it to your GPS.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

You could upload it to one of the web sites (toaster, mapmyride or even motionbased) just to have a look. If the file has a .gpx extension (end bit of the file name) then it should upload just fine. It's a useful way to check the format is good before sending it to your GPS.

Ha! Cool...I jus tuploaded it to biketoaster and it's all there...easy peezy...so I can then do the same thing and have it in my GPS tomorrow hopefully.

yello

Good man btfb! There's quite a sense of satisfaction of moving these files around; uploading, downloading etc.

If you're using a windows PC, GPSBabel should be a doddle to use as it's all GUI and friendly to use; all point and click etc. I use linux and it's not quite so straight forward.

Top Bottom