Still confused about bike gps stuff..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MockCyclist

I don't kow how anyone can programme anything but the simplest of routes on the unit itself - and only then if you accept it's own route calculation.

So for it to be of real use you need to use pc mapping software pre route and upload it. I usually use Memory-Map for UK routes and Garmin MapSource for the continent. Often I will upload the created .gpx file to one of the route hosting sites, that way I can see the satellite view and even do a fly-through if I then pass it to Google Earth. Then tweak the route a bit more to suit what looks interesting, or just add a poi with proximity alarm if there's something I want to be alerted to.

The beep alerts you to all upcoming waypoints. I've cycled hundreds of miles using just my gps with routes downloaded off t'internet - barely missing a turn. In fact I wish there was an option to beep even louder when I deviate from the route by greater than a pre-defined amount - pretty much all my u-turns were due to missing a turn that was correctly shown.

City Navigator does do auto-routing, providing your unit supports it. Not all Garmin units do, and neither do all mapsets. Bear in mind, there are some limitations when you use auto routing. I think it's to do with available waypoint capacity - can't remember the details as I rarely use that feature. Because auto-routing follows the road precisely, it uses many times more waypoints I think.

I dunno about that 705. Only 100 waypoints? My Garmin unit has capacity for 1000 and I could have used more. Rechargeable battery? Prefer standard AA. Where are the tracklogs kept? In its own memory? Not enough for a tour, I'll bet.

Pottsy

btfb - I came to the conclusion that you have and ordered an Edge 605 with the European road mapping on a microSD card (tiny chip that slots into the back of the GPS). I didn't need the heart-rate stuff, or power whatever it is and wireless communication with other cyclists - I just wanted navigation with full visual road maps plus basic speed and distance info.

I can keep you posted as to how I get on but I haven't actually attached it to the bike yet (only arrived yesterday). Initial impressions are a neat unit, centrally mounts on the stem, 2 bike mount fittings and a good interface especially for those used to Garmin.

I might try interfacing with a laptop to upload routes I've planned ahead, but to be honest, I don't currently know how to. The main use for me is navigation on day rides, avoiding getting lost, help in navigating to a particular place etc. Like you'd use a SatNav in a car basically. I think it should fulfill all these needs.

Also with correct charging facilities I don't see why it won't also fulfil these needs efficiently whilst touring in Europe, though I am yet to see what the battery life is like whilst on the move. 9 hours would be fine for me if I switch it off during my extended lunch break. :biggrin:

MockCyclist

Does the 605/705 even do tracklogs? They aren't mentioned in the Garmin specs.

A tracklog is an electronic breadcrumb of where you've been. As long as the unit is on and has satellite lock, it's recording a tracklog. This is quite separate from your route, which you may be following on-screen. The GPS Map60 CSx has 10,000 trackpoint capacity and when this is reached it re-uses the oldest ones. So you always have a 10,000 point log which might be your last 2-3 days in my experience. However it also separately records tracklogs to the sd card and they'll sit there until I erase them, so there is no practical limit.

When you review your tracklog, you get to see every detail of where you've actually been. Upload it to Google, and you can see an aerial view of your entire trip. I use my tracklog to automatically add gps position information to all my photographs. Personally I enjoy reviewing my rides/tours as it recalls little details that I otherwise forget.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...all good info thanks.
Man am I still confused though...it all seems so complicated, especially when a car driver can walk into halfords and out again with a simple easy unit that does the job cheaply...
This does look good, but VERY expensive compared to the Edge 605
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5870.aspx

...my dilema as always is cash...the more i spend on this the longer i have to wait for the bIanchi...
I do like the sound of those city navigator europe maps though....easy lif eis all I want on my bike....especially in some backstreet in a large unfamiler city.

Pottsy...go get it set up on the bike I'd be really interested in hearing how the 605 works with city nav europe. Thanks.

MockCyclist

A quick Google shows that purelygadgets.co.uk sell a GPSMAP 60CSX for less than a 705 and £31 more than the 605. (I've never dealt with this company). The mapping is expensive but is the same whichever unit you have. I'm not saying you must have a 60CSx, just that it is a route/logging oriented model, rather than training oriented. There are of course other mapping models, I think the eTrex range is possibly cheaper still. If you don't want to upload pre-planned routes, the 100 waypoint limit may not be an issue for you.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok....thanks for all the cool input all.

I am about to commit to one of these gizmos and I would like to just run my thought past you all just in case I have it all wrong. I found these links to what i think I need:

Garmin GPS 60CSx
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-gpsmap-60csx-handheld-sat-nav-gps/10066/

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=58814

Are these the same units? There is a reasonable price difference...why? Did I miss something?

Handlebar mount bracket
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-handlebar-mounting-bracket-gpsmap-60c/1608/
I am assuming this is universal for all bars...and that it isnt already supplied with the unit (?) I don't need two or these and I didnt see it listed .

Garmin mapsource city navigator Europe
http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemVie...urce=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-city-navigator-european-maps/10578/

Is this the correct city europe map to buy?

I am keen to ensure that i get the European/uk version and NOT the American version.

I want to buy the package that let's me plan my routes on a pc and upload to the GPS unit, AS WELL as being able to programme the GPS unit out on the road when I have no PC access. Am I correct in thinking that the units on these links will do this?

One last thing.I don't have long now before the off...just a couple of weeks, so i need to get this right. Is there anything else that i would need to order at this time?? have I missed anything? Does anybody else know anywhere I can get this stuff cheaper?

Apologies for being dumb...this is all new to me & I value your opinions . Thanks for your patiance.xx(:thumbsdown::smile:

MockCyclist

The one labelled GARMIN 100042200 would seem to be an American version - see here and click 'versions'

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

The bike mount looks like the one I use. I had to buy it separately.

Don't buy maps on an SD card, you can't use them on your pc. You need to buy the cd/dvd based mapping which you use on the pc or load it to your gps unit. You might want to add a 2gb micro sd card into your budget, so you can load big areas of mapping.

I too get confused with all the Garmin mapping with ever-so-close but slightly different names. I think the Ver.9 one at £72.97 is correct, but this one: http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-city-navigator-europe-dvd/11598/#specifications
seems to be the same at £140. I have a feeling ver.9 is an older model. Suggest research this a bit more before buying to be sure.

There's a really good Garmin FAQ here:
http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/gps/faq.html#twmanager

You can use the unit on-road for finding and getting directions to campsites, towns, cashpoints, etc. etc. and you could map your own scenic route using the 4-way pointer thingy on-screen but it would be a bit tedious.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Those are what I use, and it all works well.

Automatic route calculation is supported. This means that you get a beep & instructions at every junction, not just those you set a waypoint at. As a result, you can get away with far fewer waypoints - about 1 per 10km, depending on urban/rural. It takes 30s to 1min (depends on how much of a name you give it) to enter a waypoint on the GPS. This means that it's feasible to set up a day's ride on the GPS, doing your planning on a 1:250,000 or similar paper map -> flexible tours.

Money-saving options

a) get an eTrex Vista HCx (a bit smaller, smaller screen), or an eTrex Legend HCx (as Vista, but no electronic compass or barometric altimeter).
These take a different bike mount.

:tongue: Get your City Navigator on SD card. It doesn't work on the PC so you have to use Bikely or whatever, and you won't be able to copy the card so if you lose or damage it, tough.

c) Get Metroguide Europe instead of City Navigator. It officially only does automatic route calculation on the PC, but a chap in the Netherlands sells a bit of software that persuades it to auto-route on the GPS too. I'd get the Metrogold.
Warning: the Metroguide linked to above is v6 (2003). Current is V9. The old versions are missing coverage over large areas (eg much of Spain), so either check it's not just an out-of-date description or buy elsewhere.

PS. I agree that the 605/705 aren't the best option for touring.

Re different price versions of City Navigator.
about £130-140 has been the standard price for CN Europe for a long time, with Metroguide Europe being about £90-100. There's a new version of CN out with the "NT" suffix on the names. I don't know what the extra is, but the older non-NT versions work fine. I can only assume that they are being sold off cheap as end of line or something.

There's no problem with buying a US model apart from any possible warranty problems (no idea if there is or not), provided that you are getting European CN, Topo or Metroguide maps to load on to it. If you don't load any maps it's got a fairly crude built in main road map (M/A/;) that you can use. In US models you get US roads instead - hence none at all in the UK.

wallabyhunter

A quick Google shows that purelygadgets.co.uk sell a GPSMAP 60CSX for less than a 705 and £31 more than the 605. (I've never dealt with this company). The mapping is expensive but is the same whichever unit you have.

I use an old GPS 60C, clips to the handle bars so you can see where your going. But it only has 50 mb mem & you can't insert cards, so I have to load from the lap top when I want different maps. All the newer ones would take cards.

The software is City Navigator v9. BEWARE! some garmin retailers were selling this for $595 in aus (300 gbp) I bought it for $295 from a gps/communications shop. It has all the back roads of Lancs I've need to use so far.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Basket
Garmin City Navigator Europe DVD 1 @ £139.99 £139.99
Handlebar mounting bracket GPSMAP 60C 1 @ £12.38 £12.38
1: Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX 1 @ £215.99 £215.99
Postage £6.99
Total (inc vat)

....so should I hit the button??

Top Bottom