Still good people about ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Had to cut short a day in York as I only went and lost my iPhone in the minster gardens. As soon as I found out I report it lost with the Minster police. Nothing handed in so in a bit of now what to do I called into the tourist info place to find the closest cyber cafe. Explained why so they let me use the staff computer even phoned my number to no joy. iCloud showed it had not been used and location unknown. The phone is locked down with touch id ect so safe as it can be. If I wiped it it's not traceable I did wipe apple incase and apple id has been changed.

So hot footed back home checked iCloud still nothing so wiped it remotely. Then Checked house phone message waiting from police. 20 mins after I'd reported it was handed in. So off to York again tomorrow to pick it up. :smile:

So thank you who ever you are.

Slick

Guru
Lots still around, in fact still very much the majority although you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise at times.

Well done though. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
Had to cut short a day in York as I only went and lost my iPhone in the minster gardens. As soon as I found out I report it lost with the Minster police. Nothing handed in so in a bit of now what to do I called into the tourist info place to find the closest cyber cafe. Explained why so they let me use the staff computer even phoned my number to no joy. iCloud showed it had not been used and location unknown. The phone is locked down with touch id ect so safe as it can be. If I wiped it it's not traceable I did wipe apple incase and apple id has been changed.

So hot footed back home checked iCloud still nothing so wiped it remotely. Then Checked house phone message waiting from police. 20 mins after I'd reported it was handed in. So off to York again tomorrow to pick it up. :smile:

Couldn't get used to using it, so only one thing worthwhile...

Nah, as @Slick says, there's more than you're lead to believe still around.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m glad to hear it worked out well.
Most people aren’t criminally minded and would have no idea what to do with a locked iPhone so who hand it in, wouldn’t they?
I would be more impressed if it was cash in a wallet. Much more likely to be swiped.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Lucky!

Yes - there are still good people about...!

As we went to our table, I noticed that somebody had left an iPhone on the table next to ours so we gave it to the barmaid for safe keeping. About 20 minutes later, a flustered-looking oldish man came in with a young boy, presumably granddad and grandson. He was looking around the table so it was clearly his phone that we'd found. He was mightily relieved that it was safe. He reckoned it must have fallen out of his pocket when he bent down to do up the boy's coat before heading off to the station to catch a train back to Leeds. Fortunately, he'd noticed the missing phone before the train arrived.

:whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I’m glad to hear it worked out well.
Most people aren’t criminally minded and would have no idea what to do with a locked iPhone so who hand it in, wouldn’t they?
I would be more impressed if it was cash in a wallet. Much more likely to be swiped.
I dropped £600 on my way into a pub once. Bloke handed it over the bar, and wasn't fazed when I confirmed that it was mine. Wasn't even in a wallet. I'm with the OP/title - for all the 'going to hell in a handcart' stuff you hear (and the occasional peanut you meet) the vast majority of people are decent.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New marketing ploy. The handset jumps out of your pocket, meaning you've to buy another.
I think that the idea of the latest 'no-bezel' wraparound screens is not only to cost a lot more, but also to break more easily when you drop the phone!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I couldn't find anywhere appropriate to put this chap so here seems as good a place as any!

Vasili Arkhipov (1960's). During the Cuban Missile Crisis a false alarm of nuclear war almost made a Soviet nuclear submarine near the U.S launch its nukes. However the order for a launch needed 3 approvals and Arkhipov refused. So this guy is the only reason why all of us are still alive today.

mc6d2t7e1mu21.jpg

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Well called in and phone now back.
Two plus points to come from it.

Got to look round the minster for free.

But Best bit was I’ve found the bike recycling shop. Cheep bikes and bike bits old school junk shop but with bikes. Had to have a rummage I was passing.
Shame that fixie was not my size :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

Son left his phone on a wall, came home realised he'd left it, by which time the phone was already gone & they were already spending on his debit & credit card inside the phone. He's currently in one of the shops trying to see if they will let him look at the CCTV

Top Bottom