Stitched up by Debenhams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks guys - wrote a sizeable response but the then the PC crashed and I lost it all. Will have another crack if the motivation presents itself again..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks guys - wrote a sizeable response but the then the PC crashed and I lost it all. Will have another crack if the motivation presents itself again..

did you get that from Debenhams as well?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just weighed my laptop. It's way lighter than my old one. Robbing bar stewards.
Just bought a ten year old 15" MacBook Pro here for £200 and while it weighs a ton it's just a fantastic machine. The screen resolution is way better than you get on most laptops today unless spending loads. iOS supported for quite a few years to come.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I drove for Asda George. What a crepe job that was!! I only lasted a few months there.

In my 40 jobs plus, job lifetime I had jobs that lasted hours, not months! One was pulling a lever every 7 seconds to box grout, while wearing a protective paper hooded boilersuit. :wacko: It got to lunch time. My mind had been numbed by the 4 hours of robotic madness. I saw the sun shining outside so I did one, as they say. :okay:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Years back Karrimor made really good quality walking boots.

They were purchased by Field & Trek and they are now cheap and cheerful imitations of their predecessors.
Their factory was In Accrington. It's quite a while ago though.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5855357.karrimor-jobs-go-firm-sold/

https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2072859

I fell into the trap and bought a 20 odd quid pair of Sports Direct, supposed to be Karrimor walking shoes about 15 years ago. It took about a month of wear before they let water in! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
MrsPete bought a double pack of bedding (2 quilt covers, 2 sheets & 4 pillow cases) from Next last week. £58! (maybe this should go in that 'How Much?!' thread, too 😂)
When they were delivered, the cellophane pack had a big sticker on it for £45.. She telephoned them for a grump and they said "Oh, the price must have gone up"
A short conversation later and they saw the error of their ways and refunded the £13 that they were hoping to rip us off for... Sheisters...

mustang1

Legendary Member
Everything seems to get diluted. As time goes on (read: inflation), people psychologically want to stick to a price point (and I suppose companies do, too) so they reduce costs by reducing quality while retaining the price (although price seems to go up too ugh).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Years back Karrimor made really good quality walking boots.

They were purchased by Field & Trek and they are now cheap and cheerful imitations of their predecessors.

Early 90's I purchased an MTB for around £1k which was a reasonable chunk of money for a bike then. Saracen Kili Pro Elite - made to order and you could play around with some of the spec' too. Smashing bike! But Saracen, morphed over time into Halford's cheapies. :sad:

These things happen. Buyer beware!

Weren’t they bought by Sports Direct?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Having been a longstanding fan of their cargo trousers I've accumulated quite a number of pairs; most from having taken the opportunity to buy a load when they were discounted towards the end of the company-proper's existance.

I noted that the design had changed slightly but didn't think much of it; however now several years down the line it seems that the later variants are inferior to the earlier ones and last nowhere near as long. I've weighed a couple of pairs and found that indeed the newer ones are lighter, while the fabric is about 15% thinner and they feel less substantial when compared side by side.

Cheapskate b*stards :rolleyes:

Do / did debenhams actually do "own brand" clothes. I thought they were merely a retailer / reseller of bought in brands and houser of concessions.

Top Bottom