Stitched up by Debenhams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Having been a longstanding fan of their cargo trousers I've accumulated quite a number of pairs; most from having taken the opportunity to buy a load when they were discounted towards the end of the company-proper's existance.

I noted that the design had changed slightly but didn't think much of it; however now several years down the line it seems that the later variants are inferior to the earlier ones and last nowhere near as long. I've weighed a couple of pairs and found that indeed the newer ones are lighter, while the fabric is about 15% thinner and they feel less substantial when compared side by side.

Cheapskate b*stards :rolleyes:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Who ya gonna call?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Ain't that always the case. Especially when you're a short legged specimen like me. Finding off the peg trousers that fit and look decent is a major enterprise in itself. You find something that suits, then they change the spec, or the company goes bust, or you get fatter, or even shorter, or something.

tom73

Guru
The Debenhams brand is now part of the Boohoo group are are simply a label for their clothing, rather than continuing their manufacturer. My guess is they've simply out-sourced production to the lowest bidder somewhere in the world, hence the inferior quality.

They have a history of it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Having been a longstanding fan of their cargo trousers I've accumulated quite a number of pairs; most from having taken the opportunity to buy a load when they were discounted towards the end of the company-proper's existance.

I noted that the design had changed slightly but didn't think much of it; however now several years down the line it seems that the later variants are inferior to the earlier ones and last nowhere near as long. I've weighed a couple of pairs and found that indeed the newer ones are lighter, while the fabric is about 15% thinner and they feel less substantial when compared side by side.

Cheapskate b*stards :rolleyes:

Years back Karrimor made really good quality walking boots.

They were purchased by Field & Trek and they are now cheap and cheerful imitations of their predecessors.

Early 90's I purchased an MTB for around £1k which was a reasonable chunk of money for a bike then. Saracen Kili Pro Elite - made to order and you could play around with some of the spec' too. Smashing bike! But Saracen, morphed over time into Halford's cheapies. :sad:

These things happen. Buyer beware!

stephec

Legendary Member
Years back Karrimor made really good quality walking boots.

They were purchased by Field & Trek and they are now cheap and cheerful imitations of their predecessors.

I remember when they had a place on an industrial estate between Accrington and Great Harwood, just off the M65.

I bought an MTB waterproof jacket from the factory shop that lasted for years, mind you that's probably nearly thirty years ago. 😂

Nowadays the name only seems to exist in the list of Sportsdirect, 'brand names that we've bought and trade on that name as if they're still decent.'

D

Deleted member 26715

I've weighed a couple of pairs and found that indeed the newer ones are lighter, while the fabric is about 15% thinner and they feel less substantial when compared side by side.
Levi's are exactly the same, but some how they have managed to maintain the price point & cult status, in the 70's & 80's would only wear Levi's they lasted years of hard abuse, bought a couple of pair a couple of years ago, they didn't last any longer than Tesco, Asda, Factory shop ones.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Levi's are exactly the same, but some how they have managed to maintain the price point & cult status, in the 70's & 80's would only wear Levi's they lasted years of hard abuse, bought a couple of pair a couple of years ago, they didn't last any longer than Tesco, Asda, Factory shop ones.
That's more about brand and how people are willing to pay to have the name.
Levi's are an iconic brand, much like Fender guitars. Makers capitalise on it. You can buy better finished, better value guitars at a cheaper price but you pay a premium just to have the Fender name on the headstock.

D

Deleted member 26715

That's more about brand and how people are willing to pay to have the name.
Levi's are an iconic brand, much like Fender guitars. Makers capitalise on it. You can buy better finished, better value guitars at a cheaper price but you pay a premium just to have the Fender name on the headstock.
Not sure that I agree with you, I have no knowledge of how good a 70/80's Fender is/was, but if you compared it with a 2020 Fender is the quality the same, Levi's are not! they are now a far inferior product.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure that I agree with you, I have no knowledge of how good a 70/80's Fender is/was, but if you compared it with a 2020 Fender is the quality the same, Levi's are not! they are now a far inferior product.
I'd say probably not, just as with Levi's I suspect. It's the same with all publicly owned companies, they are always looking at ways to cut costs and maximise profits to satisfy their shareholders.
Like I said it's all down to brand, do want to have George at ASDA or whatever budget brand on your jeans or Levi's the cool original? You takes your choice and pays yer money.

Top Bottom