Stitched up by Debenhams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's more about brand and how people are willing to pay to have the name.
Levi's are an iconic brand, much like Fender guitars. Makers capitalise on it. You can buy better finished, better value guitars at a cheaper price but you pay a premium just to have the Fender name on the headstock.
Strangely, people pay a premium for Fender USA axes, even though the Mexican factory is only 60 miles away, employ's staff from the same neighbourhood and has identical machinery and equipment.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Debenhams brand is now part of the Boohoo group are are simply a label for their clothing, rather than continuing their manufacturer. My guess is they've simply out-sourced production to the lowest bidder somewhere in the world, hence the inferior quality.
My thoughts as well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd say probably not, just as with Levi's I suspect. It's the same with all publicly owned companies, they are always looking at ways to cut costs and maximise profits to satisfy their shareholders.
Like I said it's all down to brand, do want to have George at ASDA or whatever budget brand on your jeans or Levi's the cool original? You takes your choice and pays yer money.

Fred Perry have had their to me way over priced clothes made in Indonesia and Vietnam for quite a few years now. Their clothes seem to be well made, so that's a plus, but I bet their employees aren't on a wage equivalent to the UK minimum wage. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I never understand why people complain about manufacturing of any sort being outsourced to the far East. The solution is simple, be prepared to pay the cost of a UK manufactured product. We've lived off the back of exploitation for too long.

As a society we know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd say probably not, just as with Levi's I suspect. It's the same with all publicly owned companies, they are always looking at ways to cut costs and maximise profits to satisfy their shareholders.
Like I said it's all down to brand, do want to have George at ASDA or whatever budget brand on your jeans or Levi's the cool original? You takes your choice and pays yer money.

How very dare you! My entire wardrobe of acrylic sweaters is supplied by George at Asda.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I drove for Asda George. What a crepe job that was!! I only lasted a few months there.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I never understand why people complain about manufacturing of any sort being outsourced to the far East. The solution is simple, be prepared to pay the cost of a UK manufactured product. We've lived off the back of exploitation for too long.

As a society we know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

A fine example, I wanted a new pair of work boots. I had a choice between DMs, made wherever they are made now, for ££, or Solovair, who originally made DMs, for £££. I chose Solovair, as the difference in quality was visible, better leather, better stitching, the lot.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fred Perry have had their to me way over priced clothes made in Indonesia and Vietnam for quite a few years now. Their clothes seem to be well made, so that's a plus, but I bet their employees aren't on a wage equivalent to the UK minimum wage. :rolleyes:
Sort of agree. Being big and muscular with a shaven head I'm a proponent of the Fred Perry look, but quality of materials and workmanship has nosedived in recent years making the price see rather inflated.

Jameshow

Veteran
Years back Karrimor made really good quality walking boots.

They were purchased by Field & Trek and they are now cheap and cheerful imitations of their predecessors.

Early 90's I purchased an MTB for around £1k which was a reasonable chunk of money for a bike then. Saracen Kili Pro Elite - made to order and you could play around with some of the spec' too. Smashing bike! But Saracen, morphed over time into Halford's cheapies. :sad:

These things happen. Buyer beware!

Now owned by sports direct! Avoid!!!

bobzmyunkle

Like I said it's all down to brand, do want to have George at ASDA or whatever budget brand on your jeans or Levi's the cool original?
It's a dilemma. I'm too tight to pay for the Levi's, but it's almost impossible to find a decent budget pair without lycra.
On the quality issue, I had a pair of cargo shorts from m&s, lasted years but were looking shabby. Bought a replacement pair, lasted about six months.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's a dilemma. I'm too tight to pay for the Levi's, but it's almost impossible to find a decent budget pair without lycra.
On the quality issue, I had a pair of cargo shorts from m&s, lasted years but were looking shabby. Bought a replacement pair, lasted about six months.

I've picked up some M&S Flexi jeans which appear to have lycra in them. Seem OK enough to me.

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought 2 pairs for £16 from Asda, so far they have outlasted the last pairs of £99 each Levi's

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We don’t have M&S or George at Asda here but we do have Decathlon who have some decent cycling specific stuff. Instead I have to rely on the ‘obruni wahoo’ (clothing from the dead white man) , used from the US U.K. and Europe which is usually very good quality and a great price.

Top Bottom