Stockport cyclists beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Some feckin' eejits in that area have modified the nearside mirror of their m/vehicles to cause injury to cyclists. This is a picture of one of them, the reporter says he's seen two others with the same device. He's reported it to police via 101 and Twitter.

This is on a VW T5:

mirrorweapon.jpg

straas

Matt
Is there a source for this?

So someone's done this on their expensive VW van - the one that has a number plate tied to their name ?

Makes no sense.

Also doesn't make sense that it's designed to hurt cyclists. Once you've actually hit someone with your two tonne plus van - a few screws are neither here nor there.

Are you sure it's real and not rubber or something ?

If it's real I'd be ringing 999 and getting that off the road asap.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe the driver is a fan of making close passes on cyclists, has had his mirror slapped in the process and has taken extreme steps to seek revenge.

In any case, this would seem a deliberate effort to harm others and worth being alert to.

Reactions: C R

Chris S

Legendary Member
Mirrors stick out further than bumpers. I've been clipped by one in a car.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe someone who is a bit fed up of having their wing mirror kicked or punched off by passing yoofs with nothing better to do while the van is parked in the street?
Having been a victim of this, it had crossed my mind how to make it a painful experience for the culprit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The absolute barstewards, if it's correct. Pretty stupid too bearing in mind many cyclists have cameras and could end up with the driver being charged with assault by a weapon or similar.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I cry fake news! to get close enough for it to hit a cyclist or pedestrian you'd knock them over with the wheel / bumper.

maybe 4x4 obstacle course popping balloons?

Well, the OP on twitter says he has reported it to the Police and I have no reason to doubt his bona-fides. It seems a bit odd that anyone would make this up, after all. Whatever the intentions of the VW owner it is a clearly dangerous modification.

How about the narrow busy pavement on my daughter's walk to school where drivers tyres rub the kerbs as they squeeze past each other's oversize SUVs? Quite sure that could easily whack a pedestrian with very nasty results.

T4tomo

Guru
Maybe someone who is a bit fed up of having their wing mirror kicked or punched off by passing yoofs with nothing better to do while the van is parked in the street?
Having been a victim of this, it had crossed my mind how to make it a painful experience for the culprit.
I think this is more likely than attempting to spike cyclists on the move

Top Bottom