Stolen roof bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

Some scum-bag low life recently stole my roof bars and cycle mount from my car outside my house - they were locked on.

I know the Thule locks might not defeat a half-decent safe cracker but does anyone have any views on if the Thule mountings that need to be allen keyed on first (and then locked) are more theft-proof that the ones where you simply turn the plastic end piece and then lock on. Also, any other tips to avoid theft

Hope this makes sense - I've just had to fork out £200 to buy replacements and wanted some advice before I leave them on again.

Hopefully the thief has now caught some incurable disease that makes bits of his body drop off at regular intervals - not that I am bitter!

Bristol Dave

I've seen advice on here about super gluing a ball bearing into the allen bolt head and using solvent to remove it if you need to take the bolt off.

TBH if you wanted to nick a set of roof bars then you could scope out the ones you want, get the lock number off of the lock, contact Thule and say you had lost your keys and possibly get around the lock that way.

BD

Top Bottom