Stoopid mudguard question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan Whicker

I'm not really a beginner, but this is the first time I've bought mudguards, my current employer not being keen on the stripe-up-the-back look.

My question is this:

I have a Trek 7.3FX with 700/35 tyres. I'm looking at getting a set of SKS Chromoplastics. Does the width size refer to the tyre, or the width of the guard? Do I buy wider than 35mm, or just 35mm?

Apologies if this question's been asked before - I did have a good rootle around, but I couldn't find the answer I was after. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Landslide

Rare Migrant
The width (normally) refers to the 'guard.
See here for a list of their sizes and recommended tyre widths, and double check with the retailer before you buy.

g00se

Veteran
If it's any use, I just bought some SKS Commuter 45mm guards and they're a perfect fit for my bike with 700cx38 tyres

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
This is the Beginners section, no question is stupid, asking questions is how to learn more, we are all beginners are some :smile:

pjgraham86

Über Member
apologies for hijacking the thread - my rear mudguard on my Corratec Shape Pro with 700 x 32 tyres doesn't stop much of the muck off the roads appearing on the tail of my hi vis jacket. It is what I'd describe as a "flat" guard ie it extends out almost horizontally from the seat post with only a slight downward curve, if that makes sense.

Can anyone recommend a better set for both front and rear which would fit ? I don't intend to change the tyre size as the bike is mainly for commuting.

Thanks

P

g00se

Veteran
SKS Commuter 45mm would be good. Their Chromplastics and Bluemels are more common - but the commuters look nice and understated and you can get them for about £15:

04112009323-1.jpg

Top Bottom