Stop / Start on Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I like the idea of stop/start, as a driver, as a cyclist and as a 'citizen of earth'

However, I notice on my commute that very few cars seem to have it. Is this because it's not as commonly fitted as I thought, or because people turn it off? Or is it because when it's chuffin' hot or chuffin' cold - which are the only two temperatures we've had this year - the car needs to keep the engine running for the climate control?

My own car doesn't have it, but I do tend to shut it off manually at traffic lights I know to have a long cycle.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My car has it, but you can turn it off.
Also only works if car is in neutral with handbrake on, so even with the function on it won’t work if you leave it in gear.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
My car has it, but you can turn it off.
Also only works if car is in neutral with handbrake on, so even with the function on it won’t work if you leave it in gear.
Aha - if it needs the handbrake to be on that would explain it. No-one around here appears to use the handbrake apart from to park.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My car has it but there are many parameters which control whether or not it activates. This is the manufacturer's list of conditions :

Conditions that must be met in full for automatic engine stop (stop phase)

The gearshift lever is in Neutral.

The clutch pedal is not depressed.

The driver has fastened the seat belt.

The driver's door is closed.

The bonnet is closed.

The vehicle is at a standstill.

The factory-fitted towing device is not electrically connected to a trailer.

The engine is at operating temperature.

The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.

The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.

The engine speed is less than 1 200 rpm.

The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.

The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is

not too great.

The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater

than 3 km/h.

No cleaning of the diesel particle filter takes place

The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4

of a steering wheel revolution).

Some additional conditions for the system to function cannot be either influenced or recognised by the driver. Therefore, the system can react differently in situations which are identical from the driver's view.

If after stopping the car, the message UNABLE TO START STOP appears in the segment display or in the MAXI DOT display the check mark
index.91.gif
» Fig. 115, then
the conditions for automatic engine shutdown are not met.

Running the engine is essential, for example, for the following reasons.

• The engine temperature for the proper function of the system has not yet been reached.
  • The charge state of the vehicle battery is too low.
  • The current consumption is too high.
  • High air-conditioning or heating capacity (high fan speed, big difference between the desired and actual indoor temperature).
Note

• If the vehicle remains outdoors for a long time in minus temperatures or in direct sunlight, it can take several hours until the internal temperature of the vehicle battery reaches a suitable temperature for proper operation of the START STOP system.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My car has it and works very well. I have an automatic diesel and in this weather it will start/stop as I am queuing to get out of the car park. I don't need to have the car in park nor have hit a certain speed. I am not sure long term if it is good for the engine, but it is a lease car, so that is not my problem, I did have an ERG valve replaced after 9k miles though.

pjd57

Veteran
Most new cars have it.
It's took a while to get used to when sitting behind them at lights.
Too quick on the pedals and you're almost into the back bumper.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's less of a genuine economy/anti pollution measure, than it is a wheeze to lower cars by a few points on EU pollution testing for taxation purposes. By the time most drivers have their oil and coolant up to temperate, and battery voltage at the correct level, they've finished their journey and parked the car (probably on the path). Mrs D's car has it and it needs the car to be good and hot before it will activate, but when the car is right up to temp and with a few miles under it's wheels it works very well. Unfortunately, Mrs Ds car is a fulthy dirty horrible diesel.

It's something I'd avoid an an ageing car - some of the starter/alternator arrangements are hideously complex, and doubtless expensive. Many have additional batteries, and those that have a solo battery must have a particular specific battery which you won't just be able to trot down the Halfords to buy and have fitted by their work experience spode.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Nothing more to add, apart from when doing short city runs, the battery is often not sufficiently charged during the week to activate it. That and the A/C. In fact IIRC if the A/C is off but the fan is on 3 or higher, it still won't shut off.

Oldbloke

Guru
Got it on mine, works when footbrake on in neutral only. Recently drove from Portsmouth to South Essex, "stop" saved around 45 minutes fuel usage.

Mt sister has it on her mini but switched it off as "too annoying"!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Next door neighbours Subaru has the opposite in that if he's been playing silly b*ggers in it turning the key off will not stop the engine until it has cooled down a bit. In fact it has been known for it to take nearly 10 minutes in order for the car to decide it is OK to let the engine stop.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Next door neighbours Subaru has the opposite in that if he's been playing silly b*ggers in it turning the key off will not stop the engine until it has cooled down a bit. In fact it has been known for it to take nearly 10 minutes in order for the car to decide it is OK to let the engine stop.

You sure that's not a turbo fan or something similar?
My diesel can sound like it's running when the DPF is self-cleaning.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sounds like a turbo timer, keeps the engine running at idle for a predetermined time to maintain the oil supply to the turbo as it spools down. It's easier just to keep it off boost for the last minute or two before parking up, but boys and their toys...

Top Bottom