Stopped at lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacLean

Now im not a commuter but since everyone does their traffic moaning in here I thought this is the best place for it.

Was riding @ weekend there and me and my 3 mates (training for LEJOG) were in our little convy getting our miles done.

I dont usually get angry with drivers cos I know loads are idiots and expect it off them however I think my defensive cycling needs improvement.

Two lane 30mph road and I come to the red traffic lights leading our pack of 4. I am going straight on so stop at the red however I am not in the middle of the road I am still to the left of the left hand lane.

After being stopped for about 10 seconds waiting, a car comes between us and the cars sat in the second lane and the front of this car is just behind me to my right - lights go green I set off straight but this car is going left and starts beeping and jesturing and cuts behind me and infront of my friend following I give him the same back and carry on. *just to make it clear we where there first and were stopped for 10 secs before this guy came along after us*

Now im pretty sure that hes in the wrong but that doesnt matter, is it better practice to stop in the middle of your lane at TL? I almost feel I would get even more hastle for doing this but is stopping in the middle of your lane more recommended than staying to the left?

Let me know if I havent explained that well.

This is the exact set of lights.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...d=UQ9C7u_g2pcYpoZDcC0oqw&cbp=12,49.57,,0,9.64

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Seems best to take Primary to avoid this sort of thing, or at least a strong position so you have room to escape to in the event that the driver is this sort of idiot.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If you were still in a single file line, then you should have bunched up to two-a-breast.
To be in a long line at traffic lights is not only inconsiderate, it is asking for someone to push through.

Davidc

Guru
If you hadn't been in the centre he'd have probably gone round you on the right and left hooked you turning left in front of you.

Sadly there is no requirement for holders of driving licences to own a brain.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

mr_cellophane said:
If you were still in a single file line, then you should have bunched up to two-a-breast.
To be in a long line at traffic lights is not only inconsiderate, it is asking for someone to push through.

Well I was at the front so cant control them lol but how is it inconsiderate?

Baring in mind this is a town were there are few cylists, its not like the london (or any big city) wackey races where there are hundreds bikes scooters motorbikes etc filtering everywhere and bunching up at the front.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Davidc said:
If you hadn't been in the centre he'd have probably gone round you on the right and left hooked you turning left in front of you.

Sadly there is no requirement for holders of driving licences to own a brain.

Yes, but then at least you have the space to avoid their sh1t driving innit. Take the lane MacLean, at least through junctions by negotiating out from secondary. :smile:

Davidc

Guru
BentMikey said:
Yes, but then at least you have the space to avoid their sh1t driving innit. Take the lane MacLean, at least through junctions by negotiating out from secondary. :smile:

Sad but true that we have to assume rock bottom driving standards are the norm.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
MacLean said:
Well I was at the front so cant control them lol but how is it inconsiderate?

Baring in mind this is a town were there are few cylists, its not like the london (or any big city) wackey races where there are hundreds bikes scooters motorbikes etc filtering everywhere and bunching up at the front.

It is inconsiderate because you are making the cars wait twice as long by being in a line as opposed to bunching. You are therefore encouraging the behavior that you experienced.
If you/they want to ride as a group then someone has to take control. This is American so swap left and right. One of the reasons for an ASL is to allow cyclists to move to the front and pull away before the motorised traffic.

NigC

I agree with the advice on positioning, but that still doesn't detract from the utter stupidity of the driver.

If I was driving and came up to a set of lights with a bunch of cyclists lined up like that and I wanted to turn left, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'd do what this driver did - I might be a little annoyed at so many cyclists taking up the space, but I'd still wait behind them. Besides that, I'd expect them to be pretty quick moving from the lights anyway.

Jaguar

It sounds like he was going to have a pop at you wherever you were positioned.

I had a great one today: stopped at junction (next to central white line) to turn right, when the car on my LEFT suddenly decides to turn RIGHT !

Jaguar said:
It sounds like he was going to have a pop at you wherever you were positioned.

He can't though if you are bang in the middle of the lane, and there is a car on the outside. Yes he can hit his horn, but then that is just his ws of telling you he has seen you...:tongue:

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Thanks for the input guys...

When riding in our group, when on busy-ish roads we tend to get in a straight line on the left.

We do this because we thought we were being more courtious to drivers making life easier for them to overtake. It appears we were mistaken.

Just to confirm, there was no ASL at those lights and they are not that common in my town and I don't think many drivers here would even understand its purpose. And although there are a few flaws in our group riding (which I will try and iron out) it was still a case of unecessary aggression and lack of patience from the car driver.

Top Bottom