Stopping drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Such is my love of cycling, and my desire to be faster and healthier, I am trying to have a month off of booze.

It may sound easy for some, but I like the occasional beer, and wine.

My weekly input is usually 4 cans of beer a week, or a bottle of wine, usually on a Friday and/or a Saturday.

I'm not overweight as such, but I have a spare tyre around my waist which needs to go.

This completely ruins my Sunday bike riding plans.

I don't drink much but I really think cutting it out for a while will really help.
Since Christmas, I've failed to stop and i'm finding the same rides harder and harder.
Time for a change of plan in my life.

So I am a week in, and doing OK. If I can do it, I will repeat this again, perhaps May (after my 47th Birthday)

Anyone else cut out drinking ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I gave up drinking once.

It was the worst day of my life .....

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Such is my love of cycling, and my desire to be faster and healthier, I am trying to have a month off of booze.

It may sound easy for some, but I like the occasional beer, and wine.

My weekly input is usually 4 cans of beer a week, or a bottle of wine, usually on a Friday and/or a Saturday.

I'm not overweight as such, but I have a spare tyre around my waist which needs to go.

This completely ruins my Sunday bike riding plans.

I don't drink much but I really think cutting it out for a while will really help.
Since Christmas, I've failed to stop and i'm finding the same rides harder and harder.
Time for a change of plan in my life.

So I am a week in, and doing OK. If I can do it, I will repeat this again, perhaps May (after my 47th Birthday)

Anyone else cut out drinking ?

If what you quote is your weekly intake of alcohol I really can't see it making that much difference to your rides, it is not a lot of alcohol by anyones stretch of the imagination.
How is your general health?
How / why does it spoil your Sunday bike ride plans?
If you are finding the same rides are getting harder perhaps it's a time for a new route or two to give you a change of scenery.
Do you ride alone, if so maybe look at finding yourself a riding partner or joining a club (local ctc) it might just be you are in need of a little encouragement / incentive to push yourself a bit more.
I quite enjoy a few beers and i have been known to go for a bike ride the day after without any ill effects

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I cut out drinking every January. It makes zero effect on my cycling but it does help to shed a few pounds

Really, unless it's a proper sesh the night before you would be fine. Just make sure you're well hydrated in the morning. That's the problem with riding the morning after a proper sesh, you just can't get hydrated sufficiently

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
If what you quote is your weekly intake of alcohol I really can't see it making that much difference to your rides, it is not a lot of alcohol by anyones stretch of the imagination.
How is your general health?
How / why does it spoil your Sunday bike ride plans?
If you are finding the same rides are getting harder perhaps it's a time for a new route or two to give you a change of scenery.
Do you ride alone, if so maybe look at finding yourself a riding partner or joining a club (local ctc) it might just be you are in need of a little encouragement / incentive to push yourself a bit more.
I quite enjoy a few beers and i have been known to go for a bike ride the day after without any ill effects

It's not masses, so perhaps I need to cut down on eating cr@p also.
Problem with Sunday mornings after a few beers is, I can't get out of bed (early enough to get out and do 30-40 miles)
However, this Sunday, having had NO beers the night before, I still could not get out of bed but eventually got up at 7am and did a flat 30.

I do need some new routes, and I do need to start riding again with others.

Lets see how it goes.

II still could not get out of bed but eventually got up at 7am and did a flat 30.

I think you need to assess what 'late' actually is. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't get out of bed (early enough to get out and do 30-40 miles)

However, this Sunday, having had NO beers the night before, I still could not get out of bed but eventually got up at 7am and did a flat 30.
I think you need to assess what 'late' actually is. :smile:
Ha ha - I was thinking that!

So the problem is being reluctant to get out of bed in the dark (when it is probably still cold outside) and ride for 2 or 3 hours before your average person's alarm has even gone off ...? I don't think that alcohol is the problem! :wacko: :laugh:

I think if my interest in booze had only amounted to 4 or 5 pints a week, I would have given up much sooner. I was drinking that every night!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's not masses, so perhaps I need to cut down on eating cr@p also.
Problem with Sunday mornings after a few beers is, I can't get out of bed (early enough to get out and do 30-40 miles)

I do need some new routes, and I do need to start riding again with others.

Lets see how it goes.

Sounds like the problem is your own lack of enthusiasm, the line "eventually got up at 7am and did a flat 30." really comes across as though you had to "force" yourself to get up and get out on your bike, it is coming across (to me at any rate) as though you are not enjoying getting out on your bike almost as though it has become a chore rather than something you enjoy. Like you say, perhaps it is time for some changes.

Sara_H

Guru
I decided to give up drinking a few years ago. I found it difficult at first so eventually I bought The Easy Way to give up alcohol book by Alan Carr.
I don't know what magic is in those pages but before I'd finished reading it the smell of alcohol made me queasy!
Haven't had a drink for four years.

Top Bottom