Stopping drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Regular alcohol intake produces a general lethargy and it takes at least a few weeks on the wagon to shift it.

Other than a few glasses of wine, I've been dry since new year. It took about 10 weeks for my sleep pattern to settle down and my enthusiasm for doing anything to return.

On the plus side, I started losing weight straight away, but since March when I became more active generally, I'm really shaping up quicker. Not so much off my waist now but everywhere is feeling trimmer.

You are in italy aren't you contadino? I am astounded by your iron willpower in resisting so much wonderful cantina wine. What's your secret? Does it include flogging yourself?

postman

Legendary Member
I stopped five years ago.I was really ill.I spent thirteen nights in St Jimmies.Gallbladder came out and i got Pancreatitis,nearly did me in.Frightened the s== out of me.If only i could leave cake,buns and choc alone.

Lonestar

Veteran
My last drink was on 2 January.No plan it just happened.The longest since I started in the late 80's.

On my days off I drank with good clearance before my next shift.(never the night before or all day)
I've never really been a daytime drinker anyway.

As I'm finding my job and shiftwork more and more demanding plus always tired I got fed up with it.

Quite surprised.Also stopped drinking tea at home (a few years ago)(after 40 years) so I've cut right down on that,it just happened.I have about two cups at work and that's it.

My cycling and Job are more important to me than booze.As my job requires concentration* being tired all the time didn't help.

*So does cycling for that matter.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am now on medication for rheumatoid arthritis which severely limits alcohol consumption so decided to give up completely. Either that or die of liver failure. I worked in the booze industry for 20 years where alcohol was freely available at my level in management. Entertaining customers was part of the job so temptation was huge. No alcohol now since Dec 2014. Not as bad as I expected and now a feeling of freedom in that I can jump into a car with no qualms about my alcohol level.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I use to work in the drinks industry to feed my addiction, we use to get lots of drinks bought for us which we use to drink more than once ............ didn't help the stocks, thank Christ the stock taker was useless......

Philh

Über Member
I stopped drinking alcohol for my New Year resolution. I have not had a single drink since then.

It was new year 1998. Nineteen years and still going strong

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I stopped in 2007 which means it's been 10 years this year! But it might have been 2008.

Go for it. It may not transform your waist or your cycling but it's not going to do you any harm.

gasinayr

Über Member
It might not be the amount you drink but what you drink. Years ago I had problems in my lower legs, it would come and go for no reason. Went to doctors, hospital, sports clinics even got accipunture. Nothing helped, then just by chance I discovered it was red wine, one glass with dinner and I was crippled the next day. Turned out the tannings in the wine were attacking the anti inflammatory acids in my legs causing cramp. No red wine no pain.
No problem with a few beers ( thank God )

Trevrev

Veteran
I stopped drinking for a month last September. Just because i'd had enough through a very sociable summer. That month led to me not drinking until Christmas. Even then, i didn't drink loads. Through January, I only drank a minimal amount. I've just had a really rough week with a quite aggressive Virus.....Feeling a bit better now. What with that and just turning 50, I've decided after many years of drinking, I'm stopping......I don't need it anymore and I don't want it.

Top Bottom