Stopping with SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

I've had SPDs on my LHT now for about 3 weeks and I am very pleased with the increased performance over toeclips, especially when going uphill where I seem to be able to put a lot more power down.

I have no doubts about the advantages on this system when touring (although there is a risk of them breaking, but I guess I could get one sided pedals if I was that worried) but my main concern is with stopping (oddly:laugh:). I have only fallen off once with my SPDs and that was on a very steep back road in town where I had to stop unexpectedly and the steep road meant the bike stopped in a matter of a few seconds, rather than roll to a stop gradually as it would on a lesser gradient. I predictably couldn't get my foot out so did the stereotypical graceful arc into the stone setts . . . . which was thankfully fairly painless.

The thing is, this seems (to me) to be a bit of a problem; steep ground will cause a bike (especially one that is moving slowly, e.g., a heavily loaded tourer crawling up a hill on the granny ring) to slow very quickly if pedalling is stopped, giving little time to get the shoe disconnected from the pedal.

My question is for all you SPD tourers out there, is it really an issue, or is it something that comes with practice . . . or are toeclips worth the sacrifice in efficiency for a gain in being able to get one's foot out quickly?

Cheers.:laugh:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
forget toe clips and go with spds...I rode the length of europe fully loaded with double sided spds...best move ever. Geta pair of walkable roadshoes for touring..sett hem loose and lube them well..clipping in/out is just so easy and quick

Crankarm

Guru
yashicamat said:
I've had SPDs on my LHT now for about 3 weeks and I am very pleased with the increased performance over toeclips, especially when going uphill where I seem to be able to put a lot more power down.

I have no doubts about the advantages on this system when touring (although there is a risk of them breaking, but I guess I could get one sided pedals if I was that worried) but my main concern is with stopping (oddly:laugh:). I have only fallen off once with my SPDs and that was on a very steep back road in town where I had to stop unexpectedly and the steep road meant the bike stopped in a matter of a few seconds, rather than roll to a stop gradually as it would on a lesser gradient. I predictably couldn't get my foot out so did the stereotypical graceful arc into the stone setts . . . . which was thankfully fairly painless.

The thing is, this seems (to me) to be a bit of a problem; steep ground will cause a bike (especially one that is moving slowly, e.g., a heavily loaded tourer crawling up a hill on the granny ring) to slow very quickly if pedalling is stopped, giving little time to get the shoe disconnected from the pedal.

My question is for all you SPD tourers out there, is it really an issue, or is it something that comes with practice . . . or are toeclips worth the sacrifice in efficiency for a gain in being able to get one's foot out quickly?

Cheers.:biggrin:

SPDs are fine. Practice makes perfect. Presumably you would need to get your feet out of toe clips just as quickly. I don't see the problem. If you are having difficulties disengaging quickly then loosen the cleat tension binding on the pedal so you can just flick your ankle (left) out easily. Always stop dismount using the same side eg the left so it becomes second nature. I say the left as if cycling on the road you would then be dismounting to the nearside (pavement) and not into the road. Basic bicycle/motorcycle training this. So if bike is heavily loaded and falls it will fall away from the road. Obviously if you are cycling up or along a road with no barrier and shear 1000m drop to your left and you have to stop, you compromise :laugh:. Flick out your right ankle and dismount on the right side. Be careful of traffic though.

But practice makes perfect. Get some more riding in. Three weeks is not really very long at all to get used to SPDs or cleats if you are not a natural to them. Practice riding your bike unloaded and loaded very slowly using the brakes and turning the pedals but still staying up right almost track standing in a SAFE area eg on grass so if you topple you aren't going to do that much damage to you or your bike. Click out just before you actually stop NOT when you have actually stopped as you WILL topple over.

Not an issue - generally even on a steep hill you know you are going to have to stop - only time that I have a problem in the 15 years I have been using SPDs is when something unexpected has happened to the chain - like it breaking

Generally even going uphill and stopping I put the brakes on to push me forward off the saddle and onto the pedals allowing my free foot to disengage easily - helps that I do not believe in overtightening the clips - settings straight out of the box suit me - tight enough that I am always in contact with the bike - not so that I can put huge amount of lift on the non power stroke

Crankarm - Interesting this getting off the wrong side of the bike thing - I have no idea how to do it apart from a sort of double shuffle - not natural and for most people I suspect not healthy if you are used to one side - which side do motorcyclists mount and and dismount from in europe?

Norm

psmiffy said:
... which side do motorcyclists mount and and dismount from in europe?
As far as I know, motorcyclists and horse riders all usually mount and dismount from the left, although my "knowledge" i limited to Europe, America and Australia. Motorbikes have the side stand on the left for that reason.

lady_rider

It's just practice! Make sure you start with them pretty loose so that it doesn't take much effort to unclip, then tighten them when you get used to them. It becomes second nature. I found I didn't fall off when I started using them, but after a few weeks when I got so used to them I forgot I was using them... cue a comedy moment of puffing up a hill, stopping at the top to talk to someone and completely forgetting I was clipped in, so gently fell over while at a standstill, still talking... trying to get up while still clipped in was a challenge!

Jasper the Surrea

Norm said:
As far as I know, motorcyclists and horse riders all usually mount and dismount from the left, although my "knowledge" i limited to Europe, America and Australia. Motorbikes have the side stand on the left for that reason.

In this country a cycle should be mounted from the left. This keeps the bike between you and the traffic flow until it can be joined safely.

Tony

If I am on a mega hill, I simply unclip the left foot and pedal on the instep just before I feel I'm going to stop. Not exactly efficient, but works for me.

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Cheers for the replies guys. :biggrin: I shall keep them in that case! I suspected it was a case of learning to use them . . . I shall go and buy some good shoes of my own now rather than carry on borrowing this pair from a mate!

Top Bottom