Store bought sweet n sour chicken question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We are rather partial to a takeaway sweet n sour, the one with the crispy coating on.
Our normal Chinese has shot up in price AND the quality has dropped.......so I tried a couple of (different) store bought ones.
Both were basically chicken pieces with iffy sauce on.......no crispy coating.
Can anyone recommend a store that sells an authentic type takeaway ?

Gunk

Guru
M&S do a decent version

Sweet & sour sauce is so easy to make from cupboard staples that there's no point buying it. It's basically a bit of vegetable stock, tomato ketchup, tinned or fresh pineapple, 5 spice, and cornflour. I add ginger, garlic and chilli to mine, but you don't have to.

I do my own crispy chicken or pork, but if you don't, just get some good quality chicken nuggets or fillets.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sweet & sour sauce is so easy to make from cupboard staples that there's no point buying it. It's basically a bit of vegetable stock, tomato ketchup, tinned or fresh pineapple, 5 spice, and cornflour. I add ginger, garlic and chilli to mine, but you don't have to.

I do my own crispy chicken or pork, but if you don't, just get some good quality chicken nuggets or fillets.
Haven't you forgotten the vinegar? You'll get the sweet but not the sour :smile:

Gunk

Guru
good shout about assembling your own, M&S do tempura chicken pieces, a decent sweet and sour source from the Chinese supermarket should do it.

Gunk

Guru

I’ll be around on Monday! :hello:

Top Bottom