Store bought sweet n sour chicken question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Yeah, I guess it's like a home made version of Uncle Ben's. I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in a very long time. :blush:

The beauty of this is that you can make it to suit. The secret to the gloopy texture is thickening the sauce with corn starch.
They don't use corn starch in the takeaways round here ......

Judging by the local news report of a particular establishment they smoke while cooking for a start.....

Not sure what the obsession is with MSG. It's not like it's bad for you and it's more than likely in any shop bought sauce.
MSG is a natural product from a root plant.

midlife

Guru
Yeah, I guess it's like a home made version of Uncle Ben's. I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in a very long time. :blush:

The beauty of this is that you can make it to suit. The secret to the gloopy texture is thickening the sauce with corn starch.

Can't call it Uncle Ben' s any more, they have dropped the Uncle bit! :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From Wikipedia:

The name "Uncle Ben's" was criticized as racist because White southerners addressed Black men as "uncle" to avoid using "Mr."[17]
[…]
In the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd, Mars, Inc. announced on June 17, 2020 that it would be "evolving" the brand's identity, including the logo. The move followed just hours after Quaker/PepsiCo changed the name and logo of its Aunt Jemima brand amid accusations of racism.[20][21] As advertised on September 23, 2020, Mars Inc. replaced the "Uncle Ben's" name with "Ben's Original",[22] with the new packaging becoming widely available from about June 2021

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Judging by the local news report of a particular establishment they smoke while cooking for a start.....
And it's not always the lower class establishments that are the offenders. I remember reading George Orwell's Down and out in London and Paris when he worked in 5 stat hotel in the basement where breakfast was prepared in the hot summer without ventilation and he recalled the workers buttering the toast with the sweat from their foreheads dripping onto it.:ohmy:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Shows you how long it's been since I last bought a jar of sauce... :laugh:
Ditto , worlds gone mad though if that’s true about the name change !

Top Bottom