Store bought sweet n sour chicken question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I should buy a jar of the sauce and do some chicken yourself with the crispy coating. Very simple. Having some myself tonight. Sauce is from Spa
Much healthier without all that MSG.
How do you do the coating ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not sure what the obsession is with MSG. It's not like it's bad for you and it's more than likely in any shop bought sauce.
I know, I have a bag of MSG in my cupboard along with all the other Asian ingredients. It's perfectly fine in moderation... makes even the best fried rice even better!

Screenshot_20210514-192052_Google.jpg

kiwifruit

Über Member
Simply S & S sauce, White vinegar, sugar, water and tomatoe purée. Put in double the amount of sugar and water to vinegar. E.g 1/2 cup vinegar, then you need a cup of water and a cup of sugar. Mix cornflour with a bit of water and thicking the sauce before you put the chicken in.

OldShep

Über Member
Not sure what the obsession is with MSG. It's not like it's bad for you and it's more than likely in any shop bought sauce.
Next morning in the loo You think that smell is healthy?
i put anything with msg back on the shelf. Favourite Chinese takeaway is in Kendal proudly proclaiming 'no msg' used here.

Next morning in the loo You think that smell is healthy?
i put anything with msg back on the shelf. Favourite Chinese takeaway is in Kendal proudly proclaiming 'no msg' used here.
Its an old myth that went viral and led to "no msg" signs put up by many restaurants to please customers. It has been comprehensively dismissed.

If I ran a restaurant, I too would display the sign if the clientele area has not caught with the times. Business savvy I suppose.

There was a well known experiment where 130 customers who complained of symptoms from MSG underwent the usual double blind placebo test.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10736382/

We recently conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food. ( power of imagination I suppose).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/msg-good-or-bad#safety

Today, health authorities like the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the European Food Safety Association (EFSA) consider MSG to be generally recognized as safe (GRAS) (1Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Its an old myth that went viral and led to "no msg" signs put up by many restaurants to please customers. It has been comprehensively dismissed.

If I ran a restaurant, I too would display the sign if the clientele area has not caught with the times. Business savvy I suppose.

There was a well known experiment where 130 customers who complained of symptoms from MSG underwent the usual double blind placebo test.

We recently conducted a multicenter DBPC challenge study in 130 subjects (the largest to date) to analyze the response of subjects who report symptoms from ingesting MSG. The results suggest that large doses of MSG given without food may elicit more symptoms than a placebo in individuals who believe that they react adversely to MSG. However, the frequency of the responses was low and the responses reported were inconsistent and were not reproducible. The responses were not observed when MSG was given with food. ( power of imagination I suppose).

Today, health authorities like the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the European Food Safety Association (EFSA) consider MSG to be generally recognized as safe (GRAS) (1Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).
Also found quite naturally in some foods, but folk don't get all hysterical about that. I miss the 90s.

OldShep

Über Member

very interesting and wonder if it’s overuse of msg I detect?
My poo has always been a good indicator and not known to lie to me.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Sweet & sour sauce is so easy to make from cupboard staples that there's no point buying it. It's basically a bit of vegetable stock, tomato ketchup, tinned or fresh pineapple, 5 spice, and cornflour. I add ginger, garlic and chilli to mine, but you don't have to.

I do my own crispy chicken or pork, but if you don't, just get some good quality chicken nuggets or fillets.
That’s exactly what I was looking for ! Can I presume the red sauce you get in the tub is all that wizzed up ? As that above looks like the Uncle Bens stuff you get in a jar ?

keithmac

Guru
Doesn't sound that horrific..

"MSG occurs naturally in many foods, such as tomatoes and cheeses. ... Today, instead of extracting and crystallizing MSG from seaweed broth, MSG is produced by the fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane or molasses. This fermentation process is similar to that used to make yogurt, vinegar and wine."

Top Bottom