Store bought sweet n sour chicken question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No such thing as Katsu sauce. Katsu refers to the fillet of fish, meat, or poultry coated in (usually) panko breadcrumbs and deep fried. Japanese comfort food.
You're right, of curse, but the sauce that accompanies it is also eponymous, hence my recommendation to the OP. Legions of manufacturers and restaurants, takeaways and others sell Katsu curry sauce. Waitrose is a good one.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...F5C1yV4HxpVzPoHTi9hoCpzAQAvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No such thing as Katsu sauce. ...

You're right, of curse, but...
I love the way that pedants are almost always wrong ^_^

Svendo

Guru
I guess you could always interrogate it and give it the third degree.
I sometimes find adverse reactions to some takeaways, but I usually attribute it to super high salt levels and over ordering leading to over eating. Tends to be takeaway curries that are worst offenders as high spice, sugar and fat leads to huge handfuls of salt I suppose.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The important thing to notice is that Waitrose sell Katsu CURRY sauce, not Katsu sauce....
OP, note this important clarification, lest you simply look for Katsu sauce, whereupon you may get another type of sauce completely as opposed to a curry-flavoured one, like, er, well, that's all that's typically sold as katsu sauce, but it's very important to be on the look-out for imposters that might not be a mild curry flavour.

Because, as Andy R has said, Katsu Sauce is not a thing, Katsu is a thing, so any sauce that's put on Katsu is automatically Katsu sauce.

I hope this important clarification prevents any further confusion, and loose use of the common or vernacular naming convention for said sauce.

We should be tough on Katsu Sauce, and tough on the causes of Katsu Sauce :cheers:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No such thing as Katsu sauce. Katsu refers to the fillet of fish, meat, or poultry coated in (usually) panko breadcrumbs and deep fried. Japanese comfort food.
Popular down here only it's made with real cats :sad:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That's the other thing I love about pedants :rolleyes:
:laugh: I used to be one (least I was told by others :okay:), but you know what, I try not to be these days, and use what's common language and don't worry too much about spelling etc., just about whether what someone else or me are saying is understood by the recipient, because that's what really matters.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I make my own sauce. With fresh pineapple being the star of the show. I use the BBC recipe. But tinned is ok and you benefit from the juice. You could batter your own chicken and fry it, or just cook goijons or nuggets with a crispy coating. I've also noticed takeaway places across the board have decreased in quality

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd recommend velveting the chicken before coating and frying it, that's the secret to that takeaway tender chicken texture. Use a teaspoon of cornflour and some rice wine and / or soy sauce, massage it into the pieces and leave it to sit for 20 minutes.

That’s exactly what I was looking for ! Can I presume the red sauce you get in the tub is all that wizzed up ? As that above looks like the Uncle Bens stuff you get in a jar ?

Yeah, I guess it's like a home made version of Uncle Ben's. I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in a very long time. :blush:

The beauty of this is that you can make it to suit. The secret to the gloopy texture is thickening the sauce with corn starch.

Top Bottom