Storing bikes in a shed, in a garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is a live shot from my garage. You'll see lots of light around the main door, which allows ventilation. PS yes bikes everywhere.^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have similar single skin garage.
The main cause of condensation on anything in there occurs after Opening the door.

Temp is quite stable and changes slowly if kept shut.

As said up thread give stuff a wipe over with a maintenance spray and dry bikes well before putting away after washing.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
a dehumidifier
This IMO is the best, easiest and most effective solution. About £130 to buy, but after that they are cheap to run. Drier air heats up faster the drier it gets. There's no heating element in a dehumidifer but as the garage dries out, it does get warmer because the fan motor gives off heat like any other motor. I had a garage the same as yours, but had been left damp and unloved for years, there were quite a few gaps. My dehumidifier would extract 2 litres of water in 8 hours. It's amazing how dry it got even in winter.

Long story short, I kept a Honda CBF125 in there over 2 winters. They are famed for being rust magnets (cheap bike made in India) but mine was spotless. No rust whatsoever.

*Edit - I also haven't changed the filter in 7 years. It still works perfectly

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This IMO is the best, easiest and most effective solution. About £130 to buy, but after that they are cheap to run. Drier air heats up faster the drier it gets. There's no heating element in a dehumidifer but as the garage dries out, it does get warmer because the fan motor gives off heat like any other motor. I had a garage the same as yours, but had been left damp and unloved for years, there were quite a few gaps. My dehumidifier would extract 2 litres of water in 8 hours. It's amazing how dry it got even in winter.

Long story short, I kept a Honda CBF125 in there over 2 winters. They are famed for being rust magnets (cheap bike made in India) but mine was spotless. No rust whatsoever.

*Edit - I also haven't changed the filter in 7 years. It still works perfectly

A similar thread is on Singletrack, and a desiccant de-humidifier is better in cold conditions. I've tried a peltier type (cheap) which works fine in the garage, but can freeze up in the cold, but the one we have in the house is a compressor type, which extract's loads of moisture, but I believe they aren't as efficient in the cold conditions.

Gunk

Guru
Every spare inch is used!

6-A2-E970-E-D31-B-4-AD2-ACC1-629-EB6109394.jpg

A7795176-A766-4891-BE9-F-FC398-B89434-D.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Perhaps we should start a garage/shed/man cave thread, there must be some nice ones on the forum. Mine is just organised chaos, if it was three times the size I’d fill it.

I’ve also got another rented lock up which is full!

lane

Veteran
Brick garage is best for lack of damp. If you really want low damp, then a dehumidifier, or even a small tube heater.

Unless it is my garage. House built on s slope so ground level higher further back the garage goes and we'll above DPC. Can't do much about it as is built on border of next door.

Top Bottom