Storing bikes in a shed, in a garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
This IMO is the best, easiest and most effective solution. About £130 to buy, but after that they are cheap to run. Drier air heats up faster the drier it gets. There's no heating element in a dehumidifer but as the garage dries out, it does get warmer because the fan motor gives off heat like any other motor. I had a garage the same as yours, but had been left damp and unloved for years, there were quite a few gaps. My dehumidifier would extract 2 litres of water in 8 hours. It's amazing how dry it got even in winter.

Long story short, I kept a Honda CBF125 in there over 2 winters. They are famed for being rust magnets (cheap bike made in India) but mine was spotless. No rust whatsoever.

*Edit - I also haven't changed the filter in 7 years. It still works perfectly

I had considered a dehumidifier. However, it is a decent size (double), so I wondered if, given the gaps around the doors, it would just be endless working. Don't want to have to run it 24/7 over the colder months (same reason I decided against a tubular heater).

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I won't be buying shed for the bikes to go in.

Slight confession, I had already bought one for the turbo set up. It will be well ventilated and the door open when in use. More to do with keeping the dust off stuff.

Agree a shed thread would appear to have potential.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perhaps we should start a garage/shed/man cave thread, there must be some nice ones on the forum. Mine is just organised chaos, if it was three times the size I’d fill it.

I’ve also got another rented lock up which is full!

I think we did have one.

Mine's similar - all organised, but too much stuff.

Of the stuff I'd get rid of would be my son's massive roof box (he bought it without thinking of storage), a reclining chair, and a set of pine drawers. The reclining chair is apparently awaiting re-covering, but my wife has no-where for it. I have recently managed to remove a massive exercise bike that MIL insisted we have over 10 years ago, but it's never been used, so I've shoved it back in her garage (she's in a nursing home) and the family can have the ruddy thing - it's actually a good one, but horrible compared to a real bike on a turbo).

Top Bottom