Storm damage… the morning after the night before.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a corded 'plug in' phone but once you have been switched to BT's digital landline service (coming to you all, soon) which operates via your broadband router - it NO LONGER works if you plug it in. One is advised that one must use mobile phones for emergency. But what if your local phone masts are damaged?
Rechargeable devices are useless once their charge is exhausted. Progress indeed!

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Nobody seems to remember the storm of I think 1967.
I heard a strange noise outside in the early hours and looked out to see a complete garden shed moving at a smart pace down the road at Bowling. I reckoned on damage to the distillery roof so was up early and waiting at our usual builder’s yard for him to arrive. Being first to get him I managed to get our damage fixed first and in any case we were regular customers and paid promptly.😊
If you mean the January 1968 hurricane I certainly remember it.

It killed more people than Michael Fish's 1987 storm, but none of them were in the south east so it is largely forgotten. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Scotland_storm

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you mean the January 1968 hurricane I certainly remember it.

It killed more people than Michael Fish's 1987 storm, but none of them were in the south east so it is largely forgotten. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Scotland_storm
That is the one. I could not remember which year but the event is still fresh in my memory.
Friend of mine lived just north of Luss and he took his chainsaw out to clear the road for a lorry. As he was doing it he said a gust came which lifted a whole section of forest up and the trees danced down the hillside on the roots and further blocked the road. He just stopped his saw and they all went back into the house no doubt for a restorative dram or two.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Camping stove and gas ordered, 4AA battery work-light. Will replenish and enlarge stock of AA and AAA batteries tomorrow!

We have loads of camping stoves with various fuel types. Usually two in the van with the basics for cooking. Plus sleeping bags and camp mats. Several of battery and rechargeable battery torches and corded phone. Round here if power goes off so does mobile phones. The new digital phonea are a bad unhygienic

FrothNinja

Veteran
Still freezing in Pendle and a lot of the side roads and country lanes are still frozen. Some of them are a bit dicey even with 4 wheel drive - entertaining.

presta

Guru
There was nothing much here this time around, 1987 still holds the record here in Essex.
34 years! Hell.
I slept all the way through it
I drove home through the middle of it. The road was a carpet of leaves and twigs, and I remember thinking at the time it was a bit breezy, but I didn't get blocked by fallen trees until I drove to work in the morning. We lost the TV aerial, the dustbin, and a greengage tree that fell on the garden shed.

87 was bonkers... Still living in London at the time. I managed to struggle into school (Barbican) only to find out that they were closed. The staff had set up hot drinks and snacks for those of us who did make it in - and arranged for us to get home somehow. I remember managing to get a Northern Line tube from Moorgate for a few stops, and then walking the rest home.

Although I had a near miss. During the night, the neighbour whose garden backed onto ours had a mature linden tree come down - it was close on 2 ft wide at the base. It fell into next door's garden. If it had fallen three feet to the right, it would've taken out the back wall of our house. I'd have woken up with a tree in my bed. Or maybe not woken up at all. Still freaks me out thinking about it.

Gillstay

Über Member
87 was bonkers... Still living in London at the time. I managed to struggle into school (Barbican) only to find out that they were closed. The staff had set up hot drinks and snacks for those of us who did make it in - and arranged for us to get home somehow. I remember managing to get a Northern Line tube from Moorgate for a few stops, and then walking the rest home.

Although I had a near miss. During the night, the neighbour whose garden backed onto ours had a mature linden tree come down - it was close on 2 ft wide at the base. It fell into next door's garden. If it had fallen three feet to the right, it would've taken out the back wall of our house. I'd have woken up with a tree in my bed. Or maybe not woken up at all. Still freaks me out thinking about it.
The trees of that size that I helped take off houses had actually done not a lot of damage. Not like when a chimney stack comes through ! That is frightening. Which is what happened a lot in Glasgow.1968.

Top Bottom