stoves tents and other necessary stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

Using pans instead of a kettle is a good idea, but make sure one will sit on topof the other (or take a lid). In my experience, without a lid it's impossible to get water to a fast boil outdoors.

asterix

Comrade Member
Using pans instead of a kettle is fine but the tea sometimes has a funny taste.

It's probably because the pan still has the taste of the curry cooked in it the day before. The only way I am ever going to make tea, and I drink an lot of it, is to boil the water in a kettle that is kept only for boiling water.

Pecan

A few years ago I bought a Zip Sierra stove. This is an interesting bit of kit. It burns charcoal, wood, leaves, anything you care to chuck in really, but charcoal is cleanest and hottest.

Think of a sort of double skinned bucket with a fan underneath to force air under and through the solid fuel.

I had trouble getting one in the UK, and having had a quick Google, I'm not sure they are still even produced.

Pro's - no absolute dependency on gas cannisters or fuel bottles, but in practice I found it easiest to carry a bag of charcoal and fire lighters. It has a 'real fire' feel to it and does great toast. Low tech, no precision parts to let you down. Lends itself to field repairs and general fettling.

Con's - in an attempt to be lightweight, the construction leaves a bit to be desired. Has a tinny feel to it. Although constructed of stainless steel and aluminium (I think), the few steel bits on it tend to rust a bit. Not as instant as a gas/fuel stove. Needs a battery to power the fan and is useless without it. Probably a bit over priced for what it is (at least, it was when I bought mine).

However, it makes an interesting alternative to a conventional camping stove, which is mainly why I bought mine.

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
Thanks everyone. The zip sierra doesn't sound to be that brilliant Pecan, with its reliance on batts n flimsy construction. It does sound interesting though.

i'm more or less decided on a trangia thingy, and hope to get one next week in Edinburgh.

Top Bottom