stoves tents and other necessary stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
New to this cycling with tent lark.

Me and our young un are off soon for a trial couple of nights under canvas - but i've no idea which tent or stove will do the trick.

Could do with sound advice, so please, nowt too complicated to assemble, reliable if poss, compact etc.

Any general advice will be appreciated :wacko::smile:

JackE

Über Member
tents/stoves

My main advice would be don't buy cheap camping equipment. It will give you grief and may even put you off camping. A few suggestions:

Tent: Terra Nova/Wild Country make great tents, see their website "clearance" list at www.terra-nova.co.uk. Vaude also make good quality,lightweight tents which are reasonably priced.

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket is good, lightweight gas stove to start you off (around £20).

Sleeping bag/mat: Alpkit.com offer superb down bags and self-inflating mats at very good prices. Take it from me, good nights sleep is mega important when you've been cycling all day.

These are the basics, spend a bit more on these and you will have many years of enjoyment.

xilios

Veteran
There are some tips I've put together on our page that you might want to take a look at. Just some thoughts on what to look for or what we look for in certain equipment.
Hope its some help.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tents:
Don't get a single-skin tent (condensation). Cheap tents are OK in fine weather, but if you are unlucky with the wind you may have to decamp to a B+B or hotel.
Things to be wary of are doors that let the rain into the inner as you get in/out, and where the person at the back has to climb over the person at the door in order to get out in the night.
You should be able to get something fairly decent and not too heavy (2.5kg) for £75-£150.
Check out the Vango Tempest 200 or the Vaude Taurus 1

Stove:
A simple screw on to the top of the cylinder gas stove is simplest, such as the pocket rocket mentioned above (but there are plenty of alternatives). The ones where the gas is on the end of a hose do have some advantages (more stable, work better in the cold if have a preheat loop), but are heavier and cost more.
Avoid Camping Gas - the click-on stoves are only usable with blue camping gas cylinders, and the piercable ones have to be burnt right down before you can change the cylinder.
Gas tends to get slow at the end of a cylinder, especially if it's cold. With screw-on, you can swap to a fresh cylinder for heating and put the old one back for simmering.
I'd recommend these clip on feet for the cylinders.

Sleeping
Mat: Wee Airic from Alpkit recommended. Use a spare jersey or something to keep your feet off the ground.
Bag: Compared to equivalent synthetic fill bags, down ones are lighter, pack smaller, more expensive, last longer, harder to clean BUT down bags are useless if they get wet. To keep them dry, something like the Airlok XT drybags (from Alpkit) are recommended unless you use Ortlieb panniers.
If you go for down, the Alpkit sleeping bags are good value.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
redcogs said:
New to this cycling with tent lark.

Me and our young un are off soon for a trial couple of nights under canvas - but i've no idea which tent or stove will do the trick.

Could do with sound advice, so please, nowt too complicated to assemble, reliable if poss, compact etc.

Any general advice will be appreciated ;):smile:

Have a look at http://www.cheaptents.co.uk

JackE

Über Member
tents/stoves

I agree with Andrew on all his advice especially about Camping Gaz. Avoid the pierceable cannisters, they are cheaper but, from what I've heard, are not completely safe (ie the rubber seal can leak).
This type of "thread" usually brings out a lot of debate on the merits of this or that piece of kit because we all have different approaches to and experience of cycle-camping. I've met so many backpackers and cycle campers who have "bought twice" ie caught the bug then rushed out and bought loads of (usually cheap) gear and within a couple of years had to replace most of it. I know cos I've done a lot of it myself over the years.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
longers said:
Good link Vernon. My new tent will almost definately come from there. Ta.

I desperately want to buy a tent from them despite having three perfectly serviceable tents already. :biggrin:

It's a bit like never having too many bikes :ohmy:

May I trot out my usual tent list. Criteria for selection was under 2.5Kg , will sleep 2 and for use in these sainted isles, must pitch outer first to keep everything dry in the rain while you pitch/de-pitch. Some peoples favourites are not included 'casue they don't fit those criteria. It's also 12 months old now, so models and prices have probably moved on.

On cooking, you could do a lot worse than a trangia set. It has the disadvantage of being slow but the advantage of being simple and having everything you need in one package. Cooking on it the first time is best done at home to understand its idiosyncracies before using it in the field.

Tent list (weight)(pack size)(sleeps)(price)(link)

Wechsel White Nites (Zero G) 2.5Kg 42X14 2 @£280 www.wechsel-tents.de
Mountain equipment Dragonfly 2.1Kg (xt 2.5) ? 2 @£261 (XT @£316) http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/
Fjallraven Akka Shape R/S 2 2.3KG 34x? 3 @£310 http://www.fjallraven.com/
Terra Nova Laserlarge1 1.62Kg 56X17 2 @£300 www.terra-nova.co.uk
Vaude Ferret I Ultralight 1.9Kg 53X15 2 @£164 www.vaude.de
Terra nova laser 1.42KG 56X16cm 2 @£260 www.terra-nova.co.uk
Salewa Zodiac 2 1.89 40X30x12 1-2 @£200 www.salewa.com
Spacepacker plus Mk1 2.2Kg 48X13 2 @£299 www.robertsaunders.co.uk
Spacepacker MK 1 1.9Kg 44X13 2 @£269 www.robertsaunders.co.uk
Macpac Stellar 2.5Kg 59x17 2 @£290 www.macpac.co.nz
Helsport Fjellheimen 15X42 2.0Kg 2 @£400 http://www.helsport.no
Hilleberg Nallo2 1.9kg 15X45 @£390 2 www.hilleberg.se

coleman Avior 2 - 2.6Kg 40X15 (2) @£98 www.coleman.com

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
vernon said:
I desperately want to buy a tent from them despite having three perfectly serviceable tents already. :biggrin:

It's a bit like never having too many bikes :sad:

I know what you mean. Our main holiday is usually under canvas and I currently have 6 tents of various sizes / ages :angry:

harve

Go for the trangia stove ! they are a fantastic bit of kit, had one for 7 years and its superb.......not cheap but worth every penny and more

Bigtallfatbloke

I don't wan to speak for Tony..but the reason I dont carry a kettle is because I dont need it...I have a saucepan with me anyway, and the upturned fry pan makes a great lid which together = Kettle....thats my logic anyway...For whats worth.

Top Bottom