Strange going ons with my tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I think my bike is possessed by some evil entity sometimes. Its happened three times now, and each time its made me jump out of my skin.
I go for a long bike ride and all is well.
When i get home though, my bike seems take on a mind of its own. I park it up against the radiator in the kitchen. Have a cup of tea and after a couple of hours i hear a very strange hissing noise coming from the kitchen. I usually go into full panic mode thinking the worst. Is it the boiler or the gas cooker leaking gas out, or maybe a water leak somewhere?
But no, its the bike again.
For some strange reason my tyre's tubes will magically decide to puncture while the bike is resting up It usually happens around a couple of hours after a ride. Tonight I even checked the tyre's after my ride for flints etc but it still decided to self Puncture itself. Very strange indeed lol.
The rim tape is in good shape and the wheel rims are smooth and burr free, so I'm at a loss to what's causing this.
Any ideas folks :wacko::cycle:

Milzy

Guru
I will bet there’s something like a thorn imbedded in the tire. I’ve had it before where it’s in the middle of rubber so you can’t find it with your finger nail but when a pressured tube is up to the area it will pierce. Scrutinise some more.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hmmmm, ive just had the tube off making a mental note of were the Puncture is in relation to the tyre.There appears to be a small hole in the inner tube facing towards the tyre side wall.The tyre was inflated up to 100psi to avoid pinch flats, so I'm thinking there's something else going on. As this bike I've got is second hand but never used by the previous owner i noticed the tyre is date stamped 2012, and that the wheel rim has cut into the outer casing of the side wall that locks it onto the rim. Its right where the puncture has appeared. I think the tyre is most probably weak at this point and is flexing under load and maybe pinching the tube. I was thinking of getting a tyre anyway so this has convinced me to get one tomorrow after work.
All good fun and thanks for your help

Sharky

Guru
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Puncture Zone.

As the tyre and tube ‘settle’ after a ride, a tube that has worked it’s way into the bead clincher interface on the ride slightly, due to an old / weakened tyre bead, and / or rim , can ‘pop back’ this causes a small tear, or hole. That’s probably what’s happening. Replace the tyre, it may help.

As the tyre and tube ‘settle’ after a ride, a tube that has worked it’s way into the bead clincher interface on the ride slightly, due to an old / weakened tyre bead, and / or rim , can ‘pop back’ this causes a small tear, or hole. That’s probably what’s happening. Replace the tyre, it may help.

I think magic, fairies and satan is easier to believe than this scenario.

Top Bottom