Strange one with the Orbea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Checked the battery on my gain d50 before I left the house and it was at 99% charge. Cycled 2 Miles on level 2 and it dropped down to 89%. Never happened before.

Done another 20 Miles without and further crazy drops but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Dadam

Was that 2 miles mainly uphill or a lot of stop/start?
I commuted on mine yesterday. On the way into work, on level 1, 1.5m downhill then 3m flattish, I used 2%. On the way back, using L2 and L3 I used 12%.

I've not noticed it with the Gain (it's still fairly new) but sometimes with devices the reported charge level is higher than the actual level.

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Hi no not at all it was all flat. It was 99% when I left the house. Went to 98% on the 2 Miles then suddenly dropped to 89%. Weird

Maybe the BMS was in an standby mode while the battery was not doing anything

but when it started being used then it got more data based on the voltage (?) coming from each cell - and realised that some cells were less charged that it expected
Hence modified the reading based on the new data

The question then is whether or not the cells went back up to 100 when it was next recharged

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Just recharging today for a ride tomorrow so will find out then. I never take it to 100% as I always end up with the over voltage error so only ever take it to 98/99% anyway.

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Interestingly charged to 93% today and now have the 193 over voltage error yet again.

Genuinely getting fed up with this bike

Dadam

Hmm it does sound like either the BMS is having issues (firmware?) or the battery cells are out of balance. I've read you can rebalance by depleting then fully recharging the battery, but I'd maybe check with a dealer first. Is it in warranty?

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
I've had this error at least 6 times now. Sigma who I purchased the bike from suggested the drain then fully charge the batyery plus 2 hours. Then ride the bike and the motor should engage. TBF it has worked each time but the hassle and time it takes to drain the battery from 91% when you can't engage the motor takes days of just having the bike sitting powered on.

It's got me at the end of my patience with it this time.

I'll call a local dealer and check if a firmware update will work but thinking it's time to just sell it and have done with it.

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Firmware updated today via my local orbea dealer and bike now working. Voltage error has cleared.

Guy in the shop told me he had 6 bikes using the same system in the shop over the past 2 weeks with the same issue. Mix of Orbea and Merida so fingers crossed no more over voltage problems

Dadam

Firmware updated today via my local orbea dealer and bike now working. Voltage error has cleared.

Guy in the shop told me he had 6 bikes using the same system in the shop over the past 2 weeks with the same issue. Mix of Orbea and Merida so fingers crossed no more over voltage problems

Makes me a bit concerned about mine, but not doing anything until/unless I need to

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Yeah I wouldn't have bothered either had I not had an error showing up. LBS guy just said he has had a few in lately with this voltage error and the firmware update fixes it

Top Bottom