Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Couldn't find where the Clergy were allowed to park their cars, only where they could park themselves
DSC_3316.JPG

2022_09_19_Simonswald_05.jpg

Translation: "Tents are not permitted to levitate above vehicles".

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For me the odd thing is that it specifically states the protocol if you are being followed by a faster vehicle. The police enforce it up there but down in England slower drivers seem to think it is there bounden duty to obstruct. Out on my bikes I often get deliberately blocked by people in cages on wheels.

They used to enforce it but not any longer here. I was at the tail end of a queue being obstructed when a police car appeared behind me. When it was clear he was going to be kept at 20mph and would be late for his tea break or something he put on blues and twos and we expected him to stop the lead obstruction for at least some “advice”. Not a bit of it and once past he turned off his lights and kept going at normal speed.
There used to be a large sign at Lochmaddy telling cyclists to give way to overtaking traffic it was so bad there.
A recumbent trike once caused a massive tail back and much anger but fortunately most have now forgotten that.

Willd

Veteran
1663763056695.png
It's not going to look like that :rolleyes:. more like

1663763350697.png

not quite so cuddly :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not a road sign as such but they do mean the water, right? Tell me they mean the water.
According to the Sheffield History forum https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14811-mary-ann-smith/

Malcolm Nunn of the Bradfield Archives has replied as follows:

"The water fountain was erected in 1960 in her memory, research shows that she was an elderly spinster who lived in the cottages where the bus turning circle now stands, she had no dependents etc, and wanted to give anything she had to the people of Bradfield.

I think she imagined it would be something like the fountain in Chatsworth Park but obviously her wealth only amounted to what has been erected.

In regards to the wording - it used to say WATER between Mary Ann Smith and God's gift to man but some wit removed the word water some time ago.

Due to Health & Safety reason it is no longer possible to use this as a drinking fountain and the supply has been disconnected"

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
It was never Teeside, and if your were born there, your parents should have taught you to spell your home "town".

The river is the Tees, not the Tee, ergo Teesside.:okay:

In the past if I was asked where I came from, my answer would always be 'Teesside'. I suppose now I will have to say 'Nowhere' ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
According to the Sheffield History forum https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14811-mary-ann-smith/

Malcolm Nunn of the Bradfield Archives has replied as follows:

"The water fountain was erected in 1960 in her memory, research shows that she was an elderly spinster who lived in the cottages where the bus turning circle now stands, she had no dependents etc, and wanted to give anything she had to the people of Bradfield.

I think she imagined it would be something like the fountain in Chatsworth Park but obviously her wealth only amounted to what has been erected.

In regards to the wording - it used to say WATER between Mary Ann Smith and God's gift to man but some wit removed the word water some time ago.

Due to Health & Safety reason it is no longer possible to use this as a drinking fountain and the supply has been disconnected"

Thanks for that, but how on Earth did they manage to remove the word 'WATER' with no trace? I can only assume they must've replaced and re-engraved the entire stone.

Top Bottom