Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Two from today....

Perhaps stretching the Road Sign Subject again

Turned out the £2 was all day because the barrier and other machine was goosed. Not 15mins as suggested.

Solocle

Über Member
1594157925449.png

Doesn't a green sign mean that this is a primary route, not a motorway? Also the lack of side-of-road motorway markers.

Fortunately, when I cycled here, I was heading off to the A65, because that's most assuredly the A58(M)!

Mike_P

Guru
View attachment 534688
Doesn't a green sign mean that this is a primary route, not a motorway? Also the lack of side-of-road motorway markers.

Fortunately, when I cycled here, I was heading off to the A65, because that's most assuredly the A58(M)!
Think the green sign is because of the proximity of the next junction, signage along the whole motorway is not good with some junctions literally next to each other.

Solocle

Über Member
Think the green sign is because of the proximity of the next junction, signage along the whole motorway is not good with some junctions literally next to each other.
True, but had I been heading for the City Centre, instead of heading home from the centre, getting a bit lost, and winding my way around the Armley Gyratory... I'm pretty sure that I'd have ended up on the motorway there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's still no excuse for a green background unless the motorway doesn't start until after that junction. It's a non regulation sign, as suggested.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's true, everything is bigger in America, even the gravel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I were a lad... a friend was driving a bunch of us down to Plymouth. We were bombing down the motorway at 100+ mph (yes, I know... we were young and stupid! :whistle:) and the overhead signs started displaying a reduced speed limit, which got lower sign by sign. I suggested that doing 100 mph when the limit was (say) 30 mph was really not a good idea?

Smart alec driver mate (who worked on motorway maintenance at the time) started to make his excuses... "I see these warning signs every day at work. There is never anything there, somebody just forgets to switc..... SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!"

He had just spotted a lorry driver standing in the outside lane ahead of us, holding a plank of wood just like in the sign above. Evidently, the lorry had shed some of its load and the brave (but foolish) driver was trying to move it before it caused an accident.

Travelling sideways at 90, 80, 70, 60 ... mph in a car whose tyres are billowing smoke, towards a man rooted to the spot in fear only becomes fun once the car has swerved around the man at the last possible moment! We slowed to 30 mph and stuck to the speed limits for the rest of our trip...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I were a lad... a friend was driving a bunch of us down to Plymouth. We were bombing down the motorway at 100+ mph (yes, I know... we were young and stupid! :whistle:) and the overhead signs started displaying a reduced speed limit, which got lower sign by sign. I suggested that doing 100 mph when the limit was (say) 30 mph was really not a good idea?

Smart alec driver mate (who worked on motorway maintenance at the time) started to make his excuses... "I see these warning signs every day at work. There is never anything there, somebody just forgets to switc..... SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!"

He had just spotted a lorry driver standing in the outside lane ahead of us, holding a plank of wood just like in the sign above. Evidently, the lorry had shed some of its load and the brave (but foolish) driver was trying to move it before it caused an accident.

Travelling sideways at 90, 80, 70, 60 ... mph in a car whose tyres are billowing smoke, towards a man rooted to the spot in fear only becomes fun once the car has swerved around the man at the last possible moment! We slowed to 30 mph and stuck to the speed limits for the rest of our trip...
Maybe there's a new thread in that?!

'The impetuousity of Youth'
😁

Top Bottom