Strange Sound when peddling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Hi all

Brand new bike Allez Sport, noticed when in lower gears especially on the smaller front cog (Compact Double) When peddling hard I hear a clunk sound (best way of describing it) When freewheeling no sound and when peddling slowly cannot hear it.

When on larger front cog can still hear it but very faint ! Driving me nuts but want to check nothing daft before I take back to shop.

Cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are not confident, then back to the shop. Could be a pedal, BB shell, crank, chain ring bolts....

Not got any computer sensors fouling ? Not your heals catching ? Also possibly some front mech rub ?

madguern said:
Hi all

Brand new bike Allez Sport, noticed when in lower gears especially on the smaller front cog (Compact Double) When peddling hard I hear a clunk sound (best way of describing it) When freewheeling no sound and when peddling slowly cannot hear it.

When on larger front cog can still hear it but very faint ! Driving me nuts but want to check nothing daft before I take back to shop.

Cheers
Simply return it to the shop. Front mech cable stretch. It's covered by warranty.

redjedi

Über Member
mickle said:
Simply return it to the shop. Front mech cable stretch. It's covered by warranty.
+1

How long have you had it? If it's just few weeks then it will probably be cable stretch on the front mech, especially if you use it a lot.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Cheers, took off all the computer gear to ensure no problem. Carefully watched my pedal action as well. No particular timing , I did think a stiff chain link but yesterday my theory proved wrong as was clunk, clunk , clunk then clunk-clunk, clunk, clunk-clunk ... (Very difficult to type sounds)

Probably front mech cable so back to the shop

bad boy

Über Member
I think you will end up driving yourself mad with this I wouldnt bother just take it back mate.

You can always ask them what was wrong etc when you get it back. I had a very similar thing on my bike last year and it turned out to be the BB but do get it back to the shop

betty swollocks

large member

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

well took bike back to LBS and noise still there !!! narrowed it down to bottom bracket, spokes, gears, saddle, handlebars, pedals or frame ..... or all of them together :-)

I have retighted the saddle tonight so will see if that makes a difference. The cleats are another option I am looking at. The problem is I cannot replicate sound on a stand only when I ride :-(

Ivan Ardon

My 2009 Allez developed loose spokes in the front wheel on it's first long ride. They needed a tweak to quieten things up.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Back to the shop and an hour later a marked improvement, just a normal rubbing noise left now :-) They re-adjusted the front derailleur and replaced the chain. So heres hoping it has solved the problem. On the way home it did seem better but I know from the past these things have a habit of returning !

I hate the bedding in period on a new bike !

Top Bottom