Strava.com - for logging rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I came across Strava a couple of days back and have been messing around on it since.

Not the most intuitive site I've ever used but I'm none-the-less really quite impressed with it. The segments feature is particularly motivating.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Theres a couple of segments were im either the top or in the top 2 of riders, one of them being on the Mcr-Blackpool

For that reason, I love it ^_^

jim55

Guru
yeah good stats but id love it to have the countdown feature as endemondo has ,,gives you 10s or so to get going and gloves on and stuff ,,,other than that ,,very good

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I had a proper wonder a month or so back, when I tried to settle on my preferred way of logging rides/miles, etc. I finally settled on SportTracks for "serious" stuff, with less-regular uploads to Strava for fun.

I've found that it's not always 100% accurate, but I do like that it gives that extra competitive element, even when out solo!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
A good 10 mile section of my commute forms at least one clubs Sunday run, and it seems all levels take part. So no KOM's for me!

OP
OP
Y

yello

For me, it's the segments feature that makes the site. Everything else is available elsewhere in a less clunky fashion.The segments can put you in your place.

For instance, I rode a 7km 7.4% climb segment in the Rhone-Alps last year, one ridden by a few other riders. My best time was a full 30 minutes slower than the fastest guy. He averaged 20.4kph to my 8.3 :cry:

I had ridden 60km to that point already though whereas I'm sure he started out at the bottom fully fresh and raring to go.... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;)

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yes, it's either a bit weird or a bit buggy!

I've several KOMs for segments only I have ridden... which I think is a bit daft! Yet nothing for other segments only I've ridden. Maybe the software only awards a KOM if the climb's been ridden x times, but then counts in all of the same rider's times rather than only their best time.

I'm sure there's an explanation but, as I said, it's not intuitive! A bit of fun though.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I've not had any issues with KOMs, but then the only hills that I'm KOM on are the hills that nobody else seems to ride! Other segments can seem a little buggy sometime.

Incidentally, if anybody wants to follow me, then I'm all in for a bit of friendly banter! You can find my profile here: http://app.strava.com/athletes/171817

I'm sure there's an explanation but, as I said, it's not intuitive! A bit of fun though.
I must admit quite often I upload a route in RWGPS to get max grade, Mapmyride to get climb cats and GConnect to be consistent with my previous rides! I started logging to Strava too as I like another stat ;)

Probably a stupid question (obvious answer) but a couple of my rides are marked as PR, what does that mean ?

I must admit quite often I upload a route in RWGPS to get max grade, Mapmyride to get climb cats and GConnect to be consistent with my previous rides! I started logging to Strava too as I like another stat ;)

Probably a stupid question (obvious answer) but a couple of my rides are marked as PR, what does that mean ?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Private perhaps?

I find mapmyride (i think it is) quite poor for climb stats around here. I live in very rolling countryside and mapmyride's climbing algorithm doesn't handle that very well. I can end up with as much as a 1000m discrepancy between mmr and garmin connect for a 100km ride!

I like the segments section: Well when I say like, I mean it's neat but sobering. Some bloke was 1.30 faster over my local hill in a 1.7km section. I'm gonna see if I can find a faster ride to upload now :whistle:

Edit: Mind you, it says I'm second. Can't quite work that out.

Top Bottom