Strava.com - for logging rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

PR, I believe, is "personal record". If you click into them, then I suspect that it'll show you over which segment...

Ah yes, that makes sense too.

I can't quite figure out what personal records are (I think I have 6 of them). I mean, it sounds obvious doesn't it? But I'm darned if I can figure out how they're worked out. I'm sure it's in the FAQ somewhere but who reads those?

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
I've just done a quick search, but it's still not very clear. What I think happens is:

Personal Records & KoM competition only applies to segments: Therefore only on climbs or on segments that have been created (by you or others). If, on the first time that you ride a segment, you ride it quickly enough to be "placed", then you'll get the notification that you're "3rd/2nd/wherever overall on <segment name>". If you're not in the running, then your time is recorded for future efforts. In the future, if you ride that same segment again and improve on your original time, then you'll get a PR.

Here, for example, I'm 3rd overall on my first time of riding this climb. In my defense I stopped at the bottom to take a couple of photos, hence the appalling time: http://app.strava.com/rides/3882658#71134345

Here, I did a bit more respectably, though I didn't stop! Curiously, Strava records the average grade as 6% (which fits in with the way I felt climbing it), the signs at either end show 13%! http://app.strava.com/rides/3882658#71134346

Finally, a ride where I set my second-fastest time up a segment: http://app.strava.com/rides/3711485#

Yes but when it awards you a placing does it do it by category. Because on the one ride I uploaded, I'm in the bottom 3rd on the hill I was looking at but it's placed me 2nd. I can't look at the categories because that's a premium feature.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Yeah, I noticed that as well... Took me ages to work out why I was being told I'd got a "2nd" or something, only to find it was clearly truncated from "2nd in the overweight 30-somethings category"! I'm considering paying for the premium - it's not loads extra for a bit more info, not that I need it, but it would be interesting!

PR, I believe, is "personal record". If you click into them, then I suspect that it'll show you over which segment...
'Personal Record makes sense but some of the stats don't :thumbsup: I got PR's the first time I've did the Etape Caledonia; another training loop I do it only shows me as being 3rd fastest but when I go into the detail, I'm nearly 7mph clear of 2nd place :wacko: What it does seem to be good for is extracting sections and getting stats where you forgot too press 'lap'.
btw I must of loaded too many New Row Hill Climbs, I wanted to compare :blush:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
'Personal Record makes sense but some of the stats don't :thumbsup: I got PR's the first time I've did the Etape Caledonia; another training loop I do it only shows me as being 3rd fastest but when I go into the detail, I'm nearly 7mph clear of 2nd place :wacko: What it does seem to be good for is extracting sections and getting stats where you forgot too press 'lap'.
btw I must of loaded too many New Row Hill Climbs, I wanted to compare :blush:
I'm not sure if I'm getting a wee bit confused with what you're saying, but the medals with 1, 2, 3, etc don't relate to your position against other people, but your first, second and third personal fastest times. You can complete a segment as the overall fastest (in comparison to the other people who have ridden it) - therefore putting you top of the leaderboard. If you complete it again, in a slower time, but still faster than the second-placed person, then you'll get a little number 2 medal icon, whilst still remaining top of the leaderboard.

It's a bit confusing, I admit, but I think I'm starting to get my head around the intricacies of it all. Even the Strava support staff in the forums seem to admit that documentation is lacking!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Has anyone set up a CycleChat team? Or belong to a team? Is there any fun stuff or advantage to it?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Praps it should be Hull? That is where Shaun's based isn't it?

Anyways, I'll just toddle over to Strava and join the team. Not that my rides will be of much use to you guys!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Looks like my rides have to be public.... I wonder if I can only share them with the club?

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Looks like my rides have to be public.... I wonder if I can only share them with the club?
Under privacy options (up at the top-right, click on your name and then "privacy"), you can alter the settings slightly, though maybe not as much as you want. Basically you can set your rides to only be available to signed-in members, whilst also anonymising your name (in my case, it should show James B, rather than James Burns for example). Finally, you can also set exclusion zones around certain addresses - again, in my case it will not display my route within 1000 feet of either my home or my work postcodes.

Dunno if that's enough for you, but I'm happy enough with it for the time being...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just signed up and uploaded 43 rides. I like it.... Some good results. Some weird sections people do. The climbs are best. Some folk are either incredibly fast, or there is a data issue as they are head and shoulders faster than most others.

Top Bottom