Strava.com - for logging rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
what you all using to gather these stats, the Android app? Wish I could find me garmin so I can join in :sad:

A friend recommended Strava. Not had chance to use it yet but it looked good.

Forget all this new fangled technology (I miss my the HTC Desire HD that went with my last job) - I'll be using my battery gobbling Garmin Etrex.

I just use endomondo via the BB curve, then from the endomondo site I export the logged ride as a .tcx file and then upload that to strava, no issues so far, other than my sloth like pace, obviously. But I did get a PB on the Dukes Pass S-N yesterday.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I've used Strava for almost two years but it's got a lot better over the years. It went from free to not free and now back to free again, and I've stuck with it all the way. I find the segments useful for knowing how I've performed historically, comparing them to others is something of big willy contest but seeing how you've improved (or not) can be helpful.

I also find that if I'm riding on a bit that I know is one of my segments I try that little bit harder so it's a bit of ride encouragement.

I've used Strava for almost two years but it's got a lot better over the years. It went from free to not free and now back to free again, and I've stuck with it all the way. I find the segments useful for knowing how I've performed historically, comparing them to others is something of big willy contest but seeing how you've improved (or not) can be helpful.

I also find that if I'm riding on a bit that I know is one of my segments I try that little bit harder so it's a bit of ride encouragement.

Right enough, best used as a personal goals/development/records type thing, because it would be easy to get disheartened looking at others' times, after all, doing a particular hill in the middle of a 100k ride is a bit different from going out and nailing the climb as part of a short training session.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Right enough, best used as a personal goals/development/records type thing, because it would be easy to get disheartened looking at others' times, after all, doing a particular hill in the middle of a 100k ride is a bit different from going out and nailing the climb as part of a short training session.
Exactly.

There's a sprint segment that's more or less two miles down the road from where I work. I can ride it every day (pretty much) if I want and I'm currently second on it. The guy who's in first is a 2nd-Cat racer from my club. The difference is that I hit my best time fresh, with a nice 2 mile warm-up. He put in a better time 3/4's into a 90-mile training ride (though admittedly was also in a group!).

It's good to motivate yourself to push a little harder though. I know that there are segments where I don't have a sensible hope of getting close to the leader's time, but if I can keep making small gains and improving on my own times then I'm still happy. There are other segments that I see springing up about the place that I know I can take first place on, and I admit I go out to own them because I'm a little bit on the competitive side!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Exactly. All my 'climbs' have been mid ride so taken at a steady pace (some good results though). The cat and fiddle is a prime example of those riding it mid ride, and those who are possibly on a TT. The KOM holder is way ahead of all the other riders, and I suspect it was done on a hill climb TT rather than a mid ride climb.

I've just downloaded the Garmin Android app so I can put a few of my commutes up to Strava when I download them - there is one drag that I do every day that is a segment, but I don't take my 705 on the commute, so I've only ever got one time on that route, and it was at the end of a 60 miler !

Top Bottom