Strava grabbing LinkedIn data

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been on Strava for about 8 years now and never once has it suggested I connect with someone in my work circles, until recently. A couple of Suggested people have started to appear that I only know on LinkedIn,. I use the both Strava and LinkeIn on my iPhone and on Mozilla / Chrome on the PC.

Suffice to say, Strava is pulling these names from LinkedIn via browser cookie data or via the apps on my phone. I'm going to read the T&Cs and i'm sure they'll be well covered but im slightly disturbed that Strava is permitted to use this data.

Any thoughts ?

D

Deleted member 26715

Any thoughts ?
Many, but it's probably not Strava, it's probably Google, which then passes it onto Strava & anybody else who pays the piper

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are you sure it's not just that you have 'friends' in common with the suggested contacts, or maybe you ride in similar places so it is linking you together that way?I have no idea how strava algorithms match potential links but I guess there would be multiple ways for them to do this without resorting to clandestine harvesting of data from other social media providers?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I've just read the t&c and privacy policy - so yes Strava can use data from connected apps and social accounts such as Facebook, google, gmail etc but there is no mention of LinkedIn access and these people are a) nowehere near me and b) only contacts on LinkedIn and not facebook etc. Very very very weird. I'll scout the interwebs and see if anyone else has mentioned this oddity.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

How do your work colleagues have you setup? It may be what they have shared with Strava has caused this, not what you have shared.

I guess it could be that way round, but then the app is using their logged data on my app ?

classic33

Leg End Member

D

Deleted member 26715

At least you have to turn on tracking it's off as default more than can be said for google and co.
Or so they let you think, I trust them as far as I could throw them

Top Bottom