Strava Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys

Planning a 100k route this weekend and strava doesnt show the conditions of roads so I decided I would steal a route that other people have done using the activity search.

I have found one that I like the look of and wondered how/if you can export the map to a Garmin so that I could be guided through the route?

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm not sure about Strava as I don't use it. But like a lot of logging sites I would imagine there's a facility to export a route out into GPX or TCX file.
If not, use another map logging program, Bike Hike, Ridewithgps etc and copy the route. That way you will able to map it to suit you.

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
Top right of the map has a download GPX type symbol I guess that is what you need to be fair I only saw this on someone I follw's strava not sure if you don't follow ithem

si_c

Guru
If you've found a strava route you like that someone else has done, then if you open the activity up, you should (or at least I do) see a spanner symbol on the left side under the Overview etc menu. Click that and you should have the option to create a route.

Once you have created the route, you can download it as GPX file. If you don't have the option to create a route (it may be a premium option, I don't know) PM me the activity and I'll download and msg you the GPX.

MichaelO

Veteran
I think downloading GPX files is a premium only option. Better to use ridewithgps or something similar.

si_c

Guru
I think downloading GPX files is a premium only option. Better to use ridewithgps or something similar.

That works if you find a route on RWGPS, but if the route you want is on strava, it's not a huge help unfortunately.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
If you've found another users ride (not route) I think you need premium - I don't have premium and when I try and download a GPX I get the upgrade message.

However, with my own routes I created, I can export various formats.

premium.jpg
premium2.jpg

I will take another look and see if I can find another persons "route", and see if this saves out differently.

si_c

Guru
You can create routes and export them using strava no problem, in fact their routing tool is quite good I've found. I pay for premium because I like the additional features such as heatmaps and so on. If you send me the activity you want the route for though I'm quite happy to download a GPX for you.

No, @si_c is right, you can't directly export a gpx, but you can create a route from anyone else's ride, and then get the gpx from that**.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 11.20.54.jpg

But an useful alternative is using the Strava route builder. https://www.strava.com/routes/new It creates routes using popularity, so it will find you roads that cyclists choose, so generally you can be happy with the conditions. I raved about it a couple of years ago.

**I bet this option becomes premium once the route build goes out of beta.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Easy option. Why not just make the same route in Garmin? Just copy it? No need to download anything or chew on importing files.

Top Bottom