Strava, KOMs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
https://www.strava.com/segments/11341582

One of my KOM's set back when I was faster and had a tailwind.

bpsmith

Veteran

Attachments

• IMG_0447.PNG
    IMG_0447.PNG
    53.7 KB · Views: 35

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I hadn't looked at KOMs for a long time but last weekend I had a browse for a particular hill I had ridden a couple of times recently and was surprised to see me having one KOM, albeit on a pan flat section. Even better that it was achieved a couple of years ago on my 30 year old steel Raleigh hybrid.
My bubble was however firmly punctured when I checked the hill which was the source of my original curiosity. Simon Yates had the KOM and his brother was marginally slower, but both their times were over twice as fast as mine.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thing about KOMs is that they are held mostly by the guys/gals who ride locally and who are out there all the time, and will be out there on the day when that awesome tailwind is blowing.

The other wrinkle is that it's always the locals at the top of leaderboards for segments which need an unusual wind direction like E to W. Chances are, riding it just once, you'll get a headwind. Ride it a hundred times and chances are you'll get a couple of Easterlies

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just looked at Strava. The KoM I once held is long gone, but i'd like to know which are my strongest segments. Can't see how to do that without paying for Veloviewer or coming up with a homegrown equivalent by using the API to extract the raw data.

Erm, didn't I say something about NOT reducing every ride to numbers? Oopsie.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just looked at Strava. The KoM I once held is long gone, but i'd like to know which are my strongest segments. Can't see how to do that without paying for Veloviewer or coming up with a homegrown equivalent by using the API to extract the raw data.

Erm, didn't I say something about NOT reducing every ride to numbers? Oopsie.

Take a look at StravistiX for Strava on Chrome. This will show you your 'rank' compared to everyone else. The lower the percentage the better you are compared to others on that segment.

screen.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
Thing about KOMs is that they are held mostly by the guys/gals who ride locally and who are out there all the time, and will be out there on the day when that awesome tailwind is blowing.
You're not wrong there.

There are a few local ones that I tend to hit regularly. Same for my work colleagues. We all ride Solo, generally, so we try hard to beat each other's times. The wind isn't favourable on most of them, but knowing them inside out is worth more than the wind IMHO.

Knowing where the potholes are, the smoothest sections of surface, and when to bury yourself is key.

Again, this favours local riders. I like to use the MyWindSock site to counteract the banter when beaten on them though. ;)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Take a look at StravistiX for Strava on Chrome. This will show you your 'rank' compared to everyone else. The lower the percentage the better you are compared to others on that segment.

Yes I'm a fan if StravistiX but it doesn't show me a list of ALL my segments. What I want is the equivalent of the premium veloviewer Segments view, but without paying.

Yep lost one to him the other day (taken them from him in the past too mind) and Steve Lampier who rides for JLT Condor plays host to a lot of my local ones.
Chris has lots of my commute segments, Steve has lots of my leisure segments! :laugh:
Steve used to be based up here.
Getting a KOM round here is almost impossible for many of the reasons folk post above unless you wants to set up a stupidly short segment that involves a very convoluted/dangerous route. I'm just glad Strava have at some point started reporting your own previous times and that can be good to look at. I prefer RWGPS though where you can do a better analysis of your past TT times.

OP
OP
I
Apologies for abandoning this thread after I posted it, been working away from home and had no time for essentials like internet!

Been enjoying reading the responses to this, I have a few tricks up my sleeve, watch this space.............:smile:

Top Bottom