Strava KOMs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm only a very occasional Strava user. I drop in to see how a few cycling acquaintances are getting on and post one or two rides a year to signal that I'm still alive.

When I first discovered Strava I did wonder if you could create a segment that's so long and convoluted that no one else would complete it as they would get bored or lost before the end, thus guaranteeing yourself the KOM. I never put my theory to the test tho.

Apart from that theoretical mind game, I'm far too slow for them to be of interest. And now you can only see the top 10 unless you have a paid sub they're of even less interest.

When I first discovered Strava I did wonder if you could create a segment that's so long and convoluted that no one else would complete it as they would get bored or lost before the end, thus guaranteeing yourself the KOM. I never put my theory to the test tho.
Absolutely can do that and I know people in my running club that do. A competing running club searches these out and sets out to beat them 😂.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
There are loads of such segments on Strava ie specific commutes that no body else would ever ride, also you can keep a segment private guaranteeing a KOM, but I don't know if you get a crown for private segments.

13 rider

Guru
I'm only a very occasional Strava user. I drop in to see how a few cycling acquaintances are getting on and post one or two rides a year to signal that I'm still alive.

Apart from that theoretical mind game, I'm far too slow for them to be of interest. And now you can only see the top 10 unless you have a paid sub they're of even less interest.
While out on a long group ride the 3 of us took 3rd,4th and 5th position on a segment but we're 45mins slower than the Kom because we had stopped at a cafe . I think the segment was something like 20 miles long and had been done by 5 people including us . I'm sure someone made get a KOM as it was a pretty obscure route

Last edited:

DogmaStu

There are loads of such segments on Strava ie specific commutes that no body else would ever ride, also you can keep a segment private guaranteeing a KOM, but I don't know if you get a crown for private segments.

Private means the ride isn't included in any Public segments so no, no crown or any achievement noted but you know yourself where you stand, which is fine also. I know several cyclists who prefer to keep their results to themselves.

I don't take crown's from friends, so, like today's ride, if I do go faster than someone on my friend's list who has the crown, I keep my ride private.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I somehow gained a KOM on the Melbourne Slope in Cromer; I contacted Strava to point out that - 1. I’ve never cycled on the Melbourne in Cromer, 2. The reason I’ve never cycled on the Melbourne Slope is because cycling isn’t allowed!
Still didn’t seem to stop Strava having a leaderboard and top ten. 🙃

Top Bottom